Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2022, 18:32   #1

Boat: Formosa 41'
Need advise on rigging 41' Formosa Ketch

Hello all,
I am getting ready to step my masts (wooden) and I have two questions I hope this community can help me with:

: Should I convert to rope halyards? All of my wire halyards are serviceable except one which has a fray in one spot. All of my sheaves are bronze and made for wire. The winches are also made for wire but I guess I can use them with rope. If I stick with wire I can just put it back together but if I convert to rope I either have to change the sheaves or get rope that fits the sheaves and of course, all new rope halyards. Is it worth the expense to convert?

Second: I need a very detailed diagram of the standing and running rigging for this boat. The boat came with all the rigging taken down and labeled but the labels have been lost. I can figure out most of it but some has me a bit baffled. I've searched the internet but nothing is detailed enough. CAN anyone help?

Thanks as always, Jim
jimjimmyjimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 12:15   #2

Boat: Formosa Sea Tiger 41
Re: Need advise on rigging 41' Formosa Ketch

I don't know if you are still looking but here is a drawing that outlines the standing rig,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Formosa Drawing.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	264308  
Timsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 18:30   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Most "wire" halyards have rope tails to make them easier to hoist. In that case the sheaves work for both rope and wire, and if you change to all rope there should be no problem with the sheaves. All rope will be cheaper than wire/rope because you won't have to splice the two different materials.
If you have all wire halyards that go to a reel winch, please remove it and throw it and the halyard away. These winches are slow to hoist sails and are dangerous to use. They serve no purpose when modern synthetic lines stretch LESS than the wire does.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 19:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Most "wire" halyards have rope tails to make them easier to hoist. In that case the sheaves work for both rope and wire, and if you change to all rope there should be no problem with the sheaves. All rope will be cheaper than wire/rope because you won't have to splice the two different materials.
If you have all wire halyards that go to a reel winch, please remove it and throw it and the halyard away. These winches are slow to hoist sails and are dangerous to use. They serve no purpose when modern synthetic lines stretch LESS than the wire does.

I think it’s a good change. Do check the sheaves though. Wire rope will run through metal sheaves. If these are smooth AND the width is acceptable then you won’t have any issues.

7x19 wire would use a thinner sheave then a rope of the same strength, unless to run spectra, which not everyone does.

You might not find this to be true but it’s worth buying a few samples and climbing to rig to confirm measurements and that the sheaves are in good order.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 20:27   #5

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

On a cruiser as the c/ t 41 is all rope ,double braid is the way to go ,stick with wire s/s or galv for standing rigging ,adjust winches as necessary .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 00:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsh View Post
I don't know if you are still looking but here is a drawing that outlines the standing rig,
This is perfect! Thanks.
Old 12-09-2022, 00:28   #7

I bought all new sheaves for 1/2" rope. Should be an improvement.
Thanks everyone. JH

Tags
formosa, ketch, rigging