Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2021, 20:27   #1

Boat: Warwick Cardinal 46
Need advice: Teak Deck removal and what to do about the toe rail

I have a 33 year old Cardinal 46. the teak deck is at the end of its life. i am going to remove the teak deck and most likely repair the glass, top coat and non-skid.

this particular build was done with the teak decking sandwiched between the aluminum toe rail and fiberglass deck. I reallllly do not want to have to remove the toe rail to remove all of the teak. that is more problems than i want to deal with... unless someone has some helpful insight.

has anyone experience this kind of construction before? i am thinking of leaving the teak between the toe rail then fairing it into the glass deck with micro balloons and putting glass over that. anyone see any issues with this? any other ideas?

Appreciate the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teak-deck-toerail.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	233142  
Raphdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 20:33   #2

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Re: Need advice: Teak Deck removal and what to do about the toe rail

If you're not having any issues with leaking at the toe rail, then I think your idea seems fine. Just do a really really good job with the glassing over, you don't want to create a situation where water gets into where the wood is and is trapped. Honestly, if you can trim the teak nicely, I'd just leave it exposed.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 21:58   #3

I might consider doing that. unfortunately the teak under the toe rail is not a continuous strip and enters the toe rail as multiple planks at an angle. there will be some separations along the way but I might be able to fill those with teak caulking or turn them into drainage points.
Old 22-02-2021, 23:39   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

If you are going to epoxy seal the inside, you may want to also seal the outside of the teak - or reseal. Maybe a router and then epoxy and filler.
Old 23-02-2021, 00:07   #5

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Don’t do it,leaving the teak pieces under the alu toe rail will cause grief down the track, do it properly do it once ,sleep better, ‘this is probably also the hull deck joint ⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 00:20   #6

My main concern for removing the toe rail is that it is likely the hull deck joint and I do not want to disturb it. it is currently sealed and not leaking. most of the teak decking not under the toe rail is thin starting to peal away. if I wanted to remove the toe rail I'm not sure how I would access all of the fasteners since they are buried all along the hull to deck joint. anyone have experience removing the toe rail? would I have to remove the mast and standing rigging to relieve the load on the hull?
Old 23-02-2021, 00:56   #7

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

The toe rail fastenings may well be part of the fastenings used in the hull deck joint ,should have fastenings under the teak decking And the joint should be glassed inside and out ,removing the toe rail should have no affect on the rig ,but I don’t know the boat ,would suggest more investigation before diving into the job .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 12:49   #8

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
The toe rail fastenings may well be part of the fastenings used in the hull deck joint ,should have fastenings under the teak decking And the joint should be glassed inside and out ,removing the toe rail should have no affect on the rig ,but I don’t know the boat ,would suggest more investigation before diving into the job .⛵️⚓️
This same thing was done on 37ft boat that I was interested in. That was a deal breaker for me. Getting too old I guess.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 13:01   #9

Boat: SS34

I'm doing a similar job right now except I have plywood under the teak. I have had to remove the toe rail. My toe rail was held down with large self tapping screws down through the the teak and ply and the fibreglass shelf underneath. There was no sealant used under the toerail and in the holes through the teak and even though the teak looked good water still caused damage in the immediate area. In your case if you could arrange it so water runs away from the toe rail you may get away with it. Chiselling out or use a router to remove the teak so you get a fillet to fill the area so that the epoxy fillet is filling the area directly between the alloy and the fibreglass. Epoxy sticks well to teak after it's cleaned up. The alloy will need to be clean too just before you apply the fillet. Any damage down the track will be localized and will just need some creative stuff.
In my case I'm just laying fibreglass cloth with epoxy over the ply.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:12   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

If you route it and use epoxy with glass balloons or cut fiber, work it into the cracks above and below the piece of teak really well, using a slow-setting mix. You don't want it to crack.

On the other hand, routing and then leaving it looks attractive. It would not be difficult to seal up the places where the sharp end of boards protrude, or cut through at those locations, as you say, for drainage.
Old 03-03-2021, 19:15   #11

Thanks for all of your replies! I will post some actual pictures of the deck in a few days. so far we have three options:
1. leave the teak exposed and use the angled entries as drainage
2. fair in the teak with microballoons then glass it into the deck
3. tear apart the interior and find all of the nuts to remove the toe rail.

has anyone actually done option 3 before? is there a workaround or do you really have to get in there and remove each one from both sides of the deck?
Old 03-03-2021, 19:31   #12

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

What you DON'T want to do is seal the outboard side, that will force any water that happens to get under the toe rail, from whatever source, to drain down the screws into the interior.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 20:09   #13

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphdiaz View Post
Thanks for all of your replies! I will post some actual pictures of the deck in a few days. so far we have three options:
1. leave the teak exposed and use the angled entries as drainage
2. fair in the teak with microballoons then glass it into the deck
3. tear apart the interior and find all of the nuts to remove the toe rail.

has anyone actually done option 3 before? is there a workaround or do you really have to get in there and remove each one from both sides of the deck?

While we never had teak decks we did remove the teak toe rail from bow to stern. It was huge job especially while living aboard. But the toe rail leaked so bad that I had no choice. As you can imagine there were a lot of bolts, caulk in the hair and all over myself.

The good news is after 32 years and lots of offshore miles with the deck awash there are NO leaks!
Old 04-03-2021, 20:40   #14

That must be an awesome feeling of accomplishment. how did you get to the inside of the joint to remove bolts? did you have to tear apart your interior? mine currently does not leak which is why i do not want to mess with the toe rail.

Tags
Advice, deck, removal, teak, teak deck