Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 04:33   #31

Boat: Beneteau 456
If you have a Boom unit, the fitting is probably at the end of the unit with a small plastic threaded cap with an O ring. What I did is that I went to the local fire extinguisher shop to find out what kind of fitting they use. They were kind enough to give me a sample of the fitting so I went to a local hydraulic supply shop and purchased a 6 inch piece of pipe and appropriate fittings to connect to the fire alarm supplier fitting. The other side had to convert from one size thread to the Navtec thread. The thread used by Navtec is the same used in industrial pneumatic tubing used in Air Handling Units control systems. So take the little plastic cap to a local industrial supplier and ask for a pneumatic tubing fitting.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 13:12   #32

I figured it out today. The thread is 3/8-24. It's the same thread on the tubing side for a 3/16" tubing compression fitting. I got one at the local hardware store for $2.50, added a 1/8" pipe nipple and am set. What pressure are you all setting in your vangs? I know Navtec says 600 psi but that seems way too high, my boom weighs less than 50 lbs and the sail can't weigh much more than that.
F3 Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 18:15   #33

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3 Sailor
I figured it out today. The thread is 3/8-24. It's the same thread on the tubing side for a 3/16" tubing compression fitting. I got one at the local hardware store for $2.50, added a 1/8" pipe nipple and am set. What pressure are you all setting in your vangs? I know Navtec says 600 psi but that seems way too high, my boom weighs less than 50 lbs and the sail can't weigh much more than that.
Now you just need the valve and gauge to regulate the pressure.

What size of vang and what size of boom & sail??????????????

Remember, gas compresses!
delmarrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:45   #34

P = 42.25' E = 13.32'. Boom is 13.5'. Vang is a #10 85" long, piston size 1.3"

Pressure regulators with gages are in the shop.
F3 Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 13:28   #35

Boat: Beneteau 456
The weight is not as important as the angle of action. My Boom is 17' long and 600 psi seems to do the work just fine.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 15:49   #36

Boat: Oyster 80'
Re: Mission Accomplished

Never buy a Navtec they will not give technical support if you do not buy spares direct to them. An easy way to check if new dealings are working try to put air from a dive tank, if works take out air and fill with nitrogen
Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 19:33   #37

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30
Re: Navtec Boom Vang Hydraulic - Leaking

Old thread, but I have to comment that Navtec backstay cylinders use air pressure (not nitrogen) on the non-oil side of the piston to force the piston up when the oil pressure is let off.
There's a Schrader tire valve at the lower end of the cylinder that you connect to a simple bike pump (with pressure gauge). The pressure can be up to 100psi. If you try to add air and you get milky oil coming out of the valve, you have a leaky piston seal. The cylinder will work just fine with no air pressure, but won't extend a quickly or as far when the pressure is off.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boom vang, leaks