Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2014, 07:15   #1

Nauticat windshield leaks

I have a 2000 Nauticat 35, Pilot house. It has three front windshield panels, that appear to be well designed and well built. However, all three are leaking on the bottom. I am wondering if the gasket/seal needs to be replace? If so, where would I find such a thing? Or could they just be caulked, and if so, what is the most durable caulk to use.
Thanks
Jimholden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:58   #2

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Nauticat windshield leaks

Hi Jim,

We have a Nauticat 39 (UK based) of 96 vintage and had similar problems with window corrosion and then leakage.

The leaking which we had was not caused by the window seals but was caused by corrosion between the alloy frame and the stainless screws. We replaced all of the pilot house windows as we had corrosion and bubbling of the alloy (which was starting to crumble to dust) between the alloy frame and the rubber seals. The new window manufacturer, Ertec, described to me how these old windows corrode from the inside to outside though I can't rememeber all of the details now. Here is a picture of the centre window showing the corrosion and leakage:

The picture is looking up at the bottom of the window (from the galley steps) and you can clearly see that the corrosion has come from the screw holes.

We had new windows made in Denmark (the original maker no longer exists) but the new firm have the patterns for Nauticat boat windows and can make from their plans though it mis necessary to confirm dimensions and, importanly, wall thickness.

It was significant project although not difficult, I have a whole suite of photos that I could share with you if that was useful as well as the experience of doing the job and all of the contacts with Ertec in Sweden. Respond here if you want more, I will check back in a few days.

We had grey tint glass in the new windows which is a big improvement for glare reduction and it does modernise the look of the boat, see before and after:

Rob
robih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 14:29   #3

Boat: Unique 1400 14M
Send a message via Skype™ to brightontrader

As they are leaking you will have to take them out anyway then you will see the issue. I had a Nauticat (42 copy in steel) which was 16 yrs old when I sold her which leaked on one side panel glass. There was corrosion from condensation under all the pilot house windows, staining teak faced ply, similar to Rob's posted pics, I used Sikaflex sealants if that's any help.

It was very hard putting back the side glass as it was curved ever so slightly, those look totally flat on Nauticats so maybe not such a hard job to fix.
brightontrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 18:03   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

jimholden,

If you haven't seen it already, you might like to have a look at a thread started by "minaret" about his " Nauticat 52 Refit". I don't remember offhand if he removed the pilot house windows or not, but there's a whole lot of fascinating [to me, anyhow] information in the thread.

Ann
Old 16-03-2017, 14:32   #5

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Let's see if I can revive an old thread here... I have a very teeny tiny leak in one corner of one of my windows. Replacing all of them is way down on my list, but I'm sure I'll get to it in the next few years.

In the meantime, have you guys had any luck plugging small leaks? I was planning on smearing some black 3M 4200 over the area and then spray testing it later, but perhaps there is a better product and/or technique for this.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, wind