Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 08:10   #1

Boat: Pearson Countess 44
Mystery Capstan Help

Mystery Capstan Help
I have an uninstalled electric capstan with a chain gypsy that was furnished by the PO when I bought the boat. Unfortunately he's passed away so I can not ask him questions.
I've been unable to find information online and identify the manufacturer so I'm turning to the community for help. I'm posting some photos and hope that someone will recognize the unit and be able to point me in the right direction.
I'm reluctant to go through the installation process unless I'm pretty confident that the equipment will work for the boat and ground tackle I'm planning.
As you can see there a 700 stamped into the chain stripper. There is also an 8 marked on the gypsy though it probably can't be seen in the photos. The transmission angle drive is by Bonfiglio a VF49. There are no markings on the motor. The gypsy locks with a small toggle.
I'm sure that this capstan on one very similar was previously installed on the boat as there are remnants of installation in evidence.
I wonder if the 8 on the gypsy refers to 8mm chain. There is very little chain being used in the rodes that came with the boat. I'd like to add a couple of hundred feet of chain but need a working windlass to do so.
The boat is a Pearson Countess 44 and weighs about 28 or 29,000 pounds.
I'd like to be using a 60 pound Mantus with a chain rode but without a windlass I don't think my age and back will permit it.
Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails

sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 14:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Mystery Capstan Help

Looks like it's a Bonfiglioli VF-49 motor, but they are used in lots of windlasses.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 21:21   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Wouldn't by any chance be this?

Quick Prince DP2 Windlass w/Drum - 700W - 12V - 8mm Gypsy
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 13:42   #4

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked at the quick and will contact them to see if this is an older version.
Old 26-08-2017, 10:48   #5

For those who looked and were interested; I finally was able to identify the windlass. It is an old Simpson Laurence that takes 5/16' G 43 chain. Thanks to Tom Dessel at Coast Marine, Inc. in Newport Beach, CA. he was able to tell me it was a Nillson made for Simpson Lawrence.

I had the motor and gear box rebuilt, added a wireless remote control, a local designated battery, and installed it. I am well pleased. It works perfectly and deploys and hauls my new 65# Mantus and chain rode aboard without problems. And with the remote I can stay at the helm while I recover it.