Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2017, 04:04   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: More cool tools? "Impacta" screwdriver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Have gone to battery powered impact driver to save my fingers. Like the Milwaukee 12v tools as they have a bunch of different tools that will run off the set of batteries and charger. Once you have that first set of batteries only need to buy the bare tool to meet other job requirements.
I'm a big fan of the Milwaukee 12v tools as well. Absolutely could not live without my drill/driver and impact units. And get the larger battery...it lasts about 4x as long as the standard one and the tool will stand on it.

But the 12v impact driver is not a substitute for the old manual type. It's great for getting a lot of screws and nuts loose, but for those that are really seized the risk of stripping...or not moving it at all, are high. The benefit of the manual type is that it drives the bit into the fastener, hard, at the precise moment of applying torque to it. It will loosen stuff that the 12v driver will destroy or not budge at all. I call it my "tool of last resort" and it has delivered with some critical fasteners that otherwise would have had to been drilled or ground out.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 04:15   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
dang those ain't cheap.

Cheap tools,....Ohhheeeek like fingernails down a chalk board. You went and hit that one pet peeve button of mine
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 04:51   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive got an old Craftsman impact driver which Ive had since I was a kid. Very solid construction, all heavy forged parts. You can wail on it with a big ball peen hammer, no problem. A proper industrial grade tool. 
Name:   images.jpeg
Views: 217
Size:  4.8 KB
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 05:09   #19

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
dang those ain't cheap.
Good rarely is. I used to get decent consumer-grade tools at big-box type stores. Now I get crap Chinese stuff I don't mind losing overboard or for which I can use it "sacrificially", or contractor-grade tools, which last forever.

By the way, I have several "average" tools, including a couple of power tools, from more than 30-40 years ago, either inherited or acquired for peanuts because they were "dirty" or worn-looking. They are superior to today's consumer-grade and are often as good as the contractor-grade. So scout those garage sales, kids. Old tradesmen are going off to that union shop in the sky every day, and often their families have no idea what they have in the home shop. I do and am prepared to rehab, because the best tools are worth keeping.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 07:41   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Cheap tools,....Ohhheeeek like fingernails down a chalk board. You went and hit that one pet peeve button of mine
it's the only way I can afford to fix that watermaker
Old 26-11-2017, 09:03   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The risk of going cheap on an impact driver, is that the driver (or more likely the bits/sockets) will shatter kinda explosively when you really wind up and slam on it. So if you've got a five pound maul and big biceps....safety goggles and bandaids are advised.

If you're sure you'll just be using a carpenter's hammer and whaling at it, then cheaping out is probably still good enough, unless the head of that cheap carpenter's hammer spits off pieces. (Ball peen hammers are designed for high impact, carpenter's hammer's are designed for pounding nails.)

Just saying.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 14:22   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
OK, so far this thread has related to US only. As far as the UK is concerned i got mine in Halfords. Not too expensive and Halfords is known for giving good prices. Like the others on this thread i would not wish to be without it on the boat. Essential.
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Ashley, the links I posted are to an Australian store
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 16:49   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
it's the only way I can afford to fix that watermaker

LOL!
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 18:30   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

As a general rule as a professional mechanic I learned that cheap tools cost time and will hurt you, and I mean physically, when that cheap crap open ended wrench opens up and slips and your knuckles pay the price, it’s just not worth it. A good mechanics tools are heirlooms, really.
Plus a good polished wrench like a Snap On or Proto or even a Craftsman professional series will wipe off spotless with a rag, and I have no idea of what kind of steel it is, but it’s as hard as diamonds and will not rust if decent care is given to it.
Your Son will inherit good tools, and when he uses them he will think of you.
That alone is worth not buying junk.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 22:05   #25

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Also.....

One hammers, another one turns the screwdriver (awesome to impress F assistants)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew