Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2013, 12:47   #76

Boat: wharram tiki 26
Re: Mono vs multihull

Why should you be surprised... I've seen an Iroquois go over in Poole Bay... early Prouts and other narrow beamed marques went over along the UK S.coast in the 60's/70's and 80's... why dya think I buy Wharram...
But seriously it was those early days that started the 'Capsize Legend'... usually caused by bad judgment.. turning beam on etc..
A little Bobcat made it round the Horn in the 70's so I know what they're capable of if handled sensibly... most any Cat for that matter..
On the ratio's however if you extract racing mono's and stick to cruising boats the gap is much smaller...
Remember... Life is a 50/50 affair..

One thing you don't find on your type of cruising Cats I've noticed is the tendency to overtake the apparent wind.. must be a low windage Wharram thing...

Ahh, this is music to my ears, you sir are a soothsayer, I shall cock a snoot at all those condomarans with your words ringing in my ears and wondering if they have any ice on board for my warm beer.

salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 13:52   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
Most cruising cats are actually quite slow. They might be fast in 25 knots on a beam reach but thats it. Slow upwind and slow in light winds.
Yes, true. We don't really start moving until the wind gets into the 20's:

44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 14:04   #78

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylieh View Post
So it's like looking for a wife, test drive untill you get what you want or just get comfortable. I just hate the thought of spending so much money renting something I could own. Anyone know any good rent vs buy a boat comparisons.
The cost of ownership is pretty steep if you are not sailing it. I think the main rent vs. buy argument is that you would spend more than that keeping a boat that you don't sail continuously.

I am in agreement with you, the price of a few charters is a good downpayment on a used boat. I'd rather buy and take my chances on not liking it.

After all, whoever bought a Lagoon and didn't like it??
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 14:06   #79

To answer the capsize question, I think the fair statement is that

1) If you are buying a modern cruising catamaran design of one of the common makers Lagoon, FP, Leopard, and
2) If it has not been modified, and is sailed in a sensible way, and is not taken through a hurricane, that
3) The likelihood of a catastrophic loss (capsize, pitchpole, sinking, etc) is probably no greater, and possibly less than it would be with a similarly spec'd monohull boat
Old 25-03-2013, 14:21   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl
Most cruising cats are actually quite slow. They might be fast in 25 knots on a beam reach but thats it. Slow upwind and slow in light winds.
That is of course, just dribble. Or you must have been on some rubbish boats. And indeed there are some brands which are so fat arsed that I am suprised that they sail at all. BUT just because some of the wide bummed rubbish doesn't work well doesn't mean all cruising cats are rubbish.

I am not as fast as 44C, but I can do 5 knots in 8 knots of Breeze, and 8 knots in 12/14. And I am 10.8 meter. I can point as high as a 10 metre cruising mono and go about their speed or crack off and dismiss them. and 50 degrees apparent is plenty wide enough to start overtaking 40 foot cruising monos.

NOTE I sail some nice monos which I enjoy, but I cannot let uninformed statements about performance go unchecked.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 14:40   #81

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Wylieh,

There has been a lot of rubbish on this thread, especially about cats. The armchair lads are really going for it! God knows how a newbie can filter it out. My suggestion, Wylieh, is that you click on each avatar to see what the writer sails or has sailed. That will indicate a little with respect to their sailing background and whether they have real on-the-water experience with respect to their comments or whether they are full of ****.

BTW, our cruising cat points at 30 degrees and the boatspeed hits apparent windspeed up until about 10 knots. You may want to check out length to beam ratios of individual hulls, bridge deck clearance and read a little on that.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 14:53   #82

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Whats th crap with all these people saying cats are slow blah blah blah we had a endeavour cat that would do 5kts in 8-9 and 7-8 in 15+ and could surf comfortably at 10+. And point relatively well. Our mono felt out of control going any faster than 7 and needed just as much wind.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 15:11   #83
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mono vs multihull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Whats th crap with all these people saying cats are slow blah blah blah we had a endeavour cat that would do 5kts in 8-9 and 7-8 in 15+ and could surf comfortably at 10+. And point relatively well. Our mono felt out of control going any faster than 7 and needed just as much wind.
18knots in a Catalac 900....
flying a handkerchief..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 15:16   #84

High windage boats with fat bottoms are slow, whether one hull or two. That's my limited experience, but I've seen nothing yet to contradict it.
Old 25-03-2013, 18:37   #85
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
High windage boats with fat bottoms are slow, whether one hull or two. That's my limited experience, but I've seen nothing yet to contradict it.
Just to point out i said most cruising cats are slow not all. Most cruising cats out there are lagoon lepord etc houseboat style older designs. A good example of this is the cruiser fun races in tonga, most of the time when a cat enters it gets slammed but every so often a quick one turns up and destroys everyone.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 18:55   #86

Under certain conditions cats can be very fast, even fat ones. For many people, though, the main measure is the ability to track upwind. Fat high windage boats don't track upwind. Daggerboards or deep keel helps.

Cats are not as slow as people think, but after a while you get tired of arguing it when there is no hard data.
Old 25-03-2013, 19:07   #87
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylieh View Post
So would it be fair to say cats use to be tippy but as new technology develops they are becoming more stable/safe then a mono haul which hasn't changed since the time of the Vikings.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 19:18   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

So now they use more plastic and less wood then the Vikings ?
Wylieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 19:48   #89

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:

I expect we see quite a few of these with owners on CF now.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 20:00   #90
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:

My god that's about the most unseaworthy helm I've ever seen. Is this supposed to be progress?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote