Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2013, 08:15   #1

Moisture reading and void on 89 O'Day 302

Hello,

I'm looking at an 89 302 that seems to be in very good condition. However there is one issue noted on the survey from 2 years ago that concerns me.

Survey indicates "elevated moisture meter readings on the swim platform. One void on the starboard side was found....two very small possible voids were found on the deck. Moisture readings were low. There was some gelcoat crazing."

When speaking with the current owner, he reports that other sailors and professionals told him it is not structural or anything to really worry about, which is why he did not fix it in the past two years. He said it is just cosmetic.

My wife and I really like this boat, however it is at the top of our price range, and he is asking high-retail for the boat (which is fully equipped for cruising: dinghy, outboard motor, gadgets, etc, etc.).

All input is appreciated! Any idea of what a repair like this may cost (i.e. rebedding the swim ladder, drying the core and re-fiberglassing the underside)? Is it necessary?

Thank you!!
R & M
Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 08:35   #2

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel
Re: Moisture reading and void on 89 O'Day 302

There are usually enough boats in market that you do not have to settle for one with structural issues like soaked core. My advice is find good structurally sound boat, then worry about gadgets and such. Also what do "your" professionals tell you? Will be less headaches in long run.
I recently walked away from a nice boat because of wet core. Two weeks later found same make and size, but structurally sound and better equipped, for 1k more.
Old 29-06-2013, 08:52   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrell View Post

in very good condition.

Survey indicates "elevated moisture meter readings on the swim platform. One void on the starboard side was found....two very small possible voids were found on the deck.
I wouldn't call that "very good condition" unless you are referring to cosmetic appearance.

The stern moisture won't go away and if left unattended, will almost certainly get worse.

Voids are ubiquitous on many boats and if small, can be trivial and easily (read - cheaply) corrected if you want.

Sounds like you made the most common mistake a buyer can do - allow emotions to drive your decision
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 09:28   #4

necessary?.. hard to say. Good time to stop any creeping of core rot is now though. How accessible is the inside of the transom where it is indicated? Am I reading that this is water ingress from a swim ladder attachment? To know your answers you really need to know how far it's gone... maybe it's only a few inches around the ladder bolts. If it can be accessed from inside the job gets a lot cheaper. This is done all the time on the transom of powerboats with outdrives.... the outdrive opening leaks into the plywood core and rots. Real common repair. Is this hull cored everywhere? and what is a 302?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:36   #5

The transom of the 302 is gelcoat on solid handlaid fibreglass thus there is no wood to rot.

Accessibility is not bad from the interior. The rear wall of aft cabin can be easily removed.

Gelcoat crazing is an issue, I suspect more so on this sort of lower cost production boat vs some of the premium offerings of the period.
pkrabbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:34   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

One approach to such problems is to ask a local shipwright for a firm quote to repair the area in question... should give you a useful handle on the cost of fixin' it up.

Yet, if the area with the high moisture readings is solid layup, but has no signs of blistering, then structural issues seem unlikely. Quite possible that no remedial action is required.

Cheers,

Jim