Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2017, 10:48   #1

Boat: between boats
Moisture in the Deck

I am getting ready, following a survey, to do an 'as-is' purchase of a 30 year old boat in very good shape - except for some high-ish moisture readings aft of the mast (2 sq. ft. area), around starboard chainplate and under the hand rails. If possible, I am planning to remove some of the headliner vs going in from the top (exterior deck looks good as is). I would, of course, re-bed all topside hardware items.

Is this a good plan? Am I missing something? If I had to contract for the work does this sound $5K + or -?
Old 30-03-2017, 11:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Moisture in the Deck

what model of boat ?
5k sounds very light for most boats.
Old 30-03-2017, 11:09   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

Gaining access, either above or below will let you scope out the extent of the repairs needed.

Trying to put a price on this before a more detailed inspection is tricky.

What is the deck construction?
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 11:14   #4

I have repaired wet core from below. Very doable if you have access. One way to determine the extent is to take a drill, maybe about 3/16 diameter and drill from below where you think wetness is. Pull the drill bit out and remove the balsa wood from the drill spiral. Squeeze that wood dust between your thumb and first finger. If wet, a drop of water comes right out. You can do this to determine where the wet stops. The holes are readily filled with a dab of caulk/sealant, if they need to be at all inside the boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 11:17   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

What does "high-ish" mean to you (% reading on moisture meter)? Do you have actual delamination or known rot? Depending on the damage (and value of boat), if it's just a higher reading you may be able to dry this out and re-seal. I suggestion to me in the same situation (new to me boat and higher reading in some spots during survey): Put it in heated storage for the winter (you're in WI); remove / open up the surrounding deck hardware; give it a french-fry heat lamp for an hour or two every week over winter; check the moisture readings again in spring; pot the holes and re-bed deck hardware. It worked for me. Perhaps it's not a perfect solution and there may be some water left, but then again it didn't cost $5 grand. Check that idea with your local fiberglass guy (not the one who will strip out your headliner for the cost of down payment on a car!

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 12:39   #6

Great Feedback - Thanks to all. More data:
Moisture Readings are 20-25%, vessel is a Tartan 34. Stored indoors last 2 years.
Old 30-03-2017, 12:59   #7
Marine Service Provider

A percentage number is absolutely irrelevant as no meter can tell you a precentage of moisture.

You may wish to read Moisture Meter Mythology
Old 30-03-2017, 13:01   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

That does sound elevated. Assume that you have read Mainesail's excellent articles on interpreting moisture results, potting holes, and re-bedding hardware? Welcome To MarineHowTo.com Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com BTW: The percentage on the meter is based on resistance compared to dry hardwood (what these meters were originally designed to measure), and the fiberglass / core numbers are about a tenth of that in true moisture content.

Any signs of delamination or other rot that you want to tear the deck apart? Would a minimalist approach be better? Sorry, I don't know your experience level or advice you're getting. I don't mean to challenge you unnecessarily. but tearing decks apart sounds drastic without good cause.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 13:28   #9

...or enjoy sailing for a few years and then fix it

Most 30 year ('70s-'80's) boats have some wet spots in the deck. In most cases it has no effect -- assuming you aren't planning a circumnavigation And it's unlikely this water is new in the last 10 years.

You should carefully check the chainplates in any event as they are past useful life if they haven't been replaced. The worry is crevice corrosion and/or fatigue. The wet deck doesn't help but even if dry these would be a concern as failure brings down the mast - effectively end-of-life for a boat this old.

The reason to go slow is you "don't know what you don't know" about this boat. I've never had a survey that found even 50% of the problems. The first six months of boat ownership is usually an exciting period of "adding to the list" of things to fix.

For now, fix the bare minimium number of things needed to safely and enjoyably go sailing. Get to really know your boat and then decide what "nice-to-haves" to tackle first.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 14:14   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
The percentage on the meter is based on resistance compared to dry hardwood / core numbers are about a tenth of that in true moisture content.
No, the meters used in marine surveying are capacitance, not resistance and it is impossible to relate their % number to a "tenth" or any other number. Their readings (on composites) are relative readings only.
Old 30-03-2017, 14:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
...or enjoy sailing for a few years and then fix it

Most 30 year ('70s-'80's) boats have some wet spots in the deck. In most cases it has no effect -- assuming you aren't planning a circumnavigation And it's unlikely this water is new in the last 10 years.

You should carefully check the chainplates in any event as they are past useful life if they haven't been replaced. The worry is crevice corrosion and/or fatigue. The wet deck doesn't help but even if dry these would be a concern as failure brings down the mast - effectively end-of-life for a boat this old.

The reason to go slow is you "don't know what you don't know" about this boat. I've never had a survey that found even 50% of the problems. The first six months of boat ownership is usually an exciting period of "adding to the list" of things to fix.

For now, fix the bare minimium number of things needed to safely and enjoyably go sailing. Get to really know your boat and then decide what "nice-to-haves" to tackle first.
Good advice. Use it. See what you think. You can still drill the small holes out of curiosity and see.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 17:39   #12

My thanks to CarlF and others for the comments and advice. I'll check the chainplates, drill a few prospecting holes and go slow.
I've been buying boats a couple times a decade since 1970. That's when I found all the dry rot near the center board trunk of my 19 foot mahogany planked day sailer. So how bad can this problem be?
Old 30-03-2017, 17:51   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggHrbrGuy View Post
My thanks to CarlF and others for the comments and advice. I'll check the chainplates, drill a few prospecting holes and go slow.
I've been buying boats a couple times a decade since 1970. That's when I found all the dry rot near the center board trunk of my 19 foot mahogany planked day sailer. So how bad can this problem be?
It could be very bad. The problem is you don't know. Leaving it could cost you a lot of money but you wont know until you check it out thoroughly. Leave it outside next winter and you may have a badly delaminated deck.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 03:02   #14

Boat: Tartan 34C

I bought my Tartan 34 the same way...It sat a while and maintenance was deferred however, I wanted a bigger boat, had the money for it in cash (cheap), and was willing to fix all the issues including soggy decks.

For me, it was worth it for the price. I launched the first year after some extensive work but it's been out of the water as I started to take care of the rotted core issues. Had some nasty rot around my mast, near old muffler area, and side decks...possibly around bow as well...

Fixing core issues is not difficult. Just time consuming...I have been working on mine little by little as I get a moment...Somedays I only get 2 hours, somedays a whole day...

I hope to launch this year...we shall see...

Just get it...5k for a T34 is a deal. I love my boat and can't wait to go get intimate on the water with mine
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 13:46   #15
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggHrbrGuy View Post
I am getting ready, following a survey, to do an 'as-is' purchase of a 30 year old boat in very good shape - except for some high-ish moisture readings aft of the mast (2 sq. ft. area), around starboard chainplate and under the hand rails. If possible, I am planning to remove some of the headliner vs going in from the top (exterior deck looks good as is). I would, of course, re-bed all topside hardware items.

Is this a good plan? Am I missing something? If I had to contract for the work does this sound $5K + or -?
Contrary to popular belief, elevate moisture readings are not the end of the world.

Very few 30+ year old boats don't have elevated deck moisture readings.

It is only and issue if there is softness or delamination.

First order of business, prevent further moisture ingress.

If an area fails percussion sounding, then consider core re and re.

It is certainly doable from the underside, but gravity is working against you, instead of for you, as is the case of doing it from above.

There are so many options for non-skid replacement, unless she is a priceless classic, I'd work from the top.

If there is skin delamination, you can use a drilled grid and hotvac technique to draw out moisture.

Rotted core between laminates need not necessarily be removed, if it can be dried, and adequately infused with resin.

If the skin has to come off, core replacement is faster and easier.

Edit added: For core replacement, you should be able to find a reputable FRP to do it for $1000 for the first square foot, and $300 per additional sq. ft. if you remove the fittings (add $25 for each through bolt removed).
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck