Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 18:44   #1

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Missing lower portion of bulkhead-concern?

You know how they always say that you shouldn't buy a boat because of the interior? Well this interior is selling nothing, and the owner has been very upfront that the interior and the wiring is a mess. However, all the rest of the boat is fantastic: 3-year old mast, boom-furling, sails, standing rigging, 39 hp Yanmar. And it has an encapsulated lead keel with the bottom barrier-coated in epoxy a year ago, and all at a low price.

That said, the port-side bulkhead at the bow end of the main cabin is missing its lower portion (first pic). Does anyone know if this is structural on a Seafarer 34? It looks like it was just a dinette to settee conversion since the marking on the bulkhead is at the level of the settee. Also, is this water intrusion where the cabin top and cabin sides meet (second pic)? I'm going to be redoing the wiring after purchase anyways, but wouldn't want water leaking on to it in the meantime. At least if the problem in the first pic leads to a sunken boat, the EPIRB in the second pic might save the crew! Thanks for your help and assistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141207_125835.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	96629   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141207_125840.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	96630  

brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 19:11   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Missing lower portion of bulkhead-concern?

There might be a leak near that port light. Looks like there might be some black mold along that vertical molding.

What are the alligator clips for? I can't make out where the wires go.

Edit: although that discoloration could be from an oil lamp.

I can't comment on the bulkhead but usually they go down to a floor timber.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 19:19   #3

I believe that those alligator clips are for the small inverter in the lower left.

It looks like there also may once have been some shelving in that area that has been taken off, which is probably causing some of the discoloration.
Old 04-02-2015, 19:21   #4

If I look closely - it looks like there is a post to the right of the fire extinguisher that that 'bulkhead' attaches to. Might that indicate that it's non-structural?

The owner did bring her down from Maryland to Florida six months ago and if an issue presented then I'm confident he'd tell me, he's been very honest and frank throughout our discussions on this boat. This bulkhead is my one worry. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-02-2015, 07:08   #5

Sorry for the self-bump, but this bulkhead is the one thing keeping me from buying plane tickets to go inspect this boat Saturday. Hoping to catch the AM crowd on the portal page and then I'll shut up about it. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2015, 07:28   #6

Doesn't look a big deal to me.

If I had to guess once upon a time a previous owner cut away a bunch of rot at the bottom of the bulkhead. To conceal it, a panel was glued on to the face of the bulkhead extending down to cover the hole. Time passes and the glue fails and the panel is removed and discarded, leaving behind the amber colored "discoloration" visible adjacent to the fire extinguisher which is actually remnant glue. Or something like that.

Regardless, when I say I don't think it's a big deal, it's because I think I can see an aluminum compression post for a deck stepped mast. At that point I would be mainly looking at the chain plates to see how they are connected. Whether they are attached to the main bulkhead, and if so, how the rest of the bulkhead is attached to the hull.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:37   #7

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Judging from the photos, I would expect you are in for a new career in boat building.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:04   #8

1st pic looks like water stains up to the book rack, which could/would explain issues at bottom of bulkhead. The other bulkhead looks like the tabbing has been removed/broken away at the hull. The water staining on the stbd. bulkhead looks like it came from the port light. The port side bulkhead looks to be the worst for delam. of the veneer, and there would be a big ? as to the soundness of the rest of it in the lower section!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:15   #9

Looks like a boat that might need a lot of work. I cant tell from the pics what you are talking about, but the bulkhead should be tied to the hull on the bottom.
I would be asking:
1) Why a new mast?
2) Barrier coated on the bottom is sales speak for "blister problem". Just so you know... so find out how it was done, how it was dried out.
3) I have never known anyone who liked boom furling, but they may be out there. Just sayin.... be careful about viewing that as a positive.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:30   #10

Thanks Delancey, Terra Nova, and Mike. I'm up for a career rewiring and fixing cosmetic issues like new headliners - but certainly don't want a career gutting interiors to retab/replace bulkheads! Mike - I think you're talking about the tabbing next to the Raymarine box in that second pic (the one of the starboard bulk head)? It does look like it's crumbled, or pulled out ... or something.

The first owner had her since she was new from the factory, and put heaps of dollars and work into her in the last three years (receipts for over $40,000 for new standing rigging, mast, sails, barrier coat, engine, MSD, upholstery, etc.). It's hard to believe he did that when these other issues are sort of hard not to notice (if they are indeed serious), but who knows what you're thinking at 85 years old with a boat you've owned half your life? The current owner has only had her for six months and is the one who stripped out the headliner and so forth to redo her for his retirement boat before he found a Southern Cross 28 at a steal and now owns two boats.

I do have a few back-up boats I'm looking at in much better interior nick (with much larger prices); it just seemed that the price was unbeatable with all the new equipment on this boat. But - I guess new everything isn't worth much if the boat is sitting on the bottom. I'm on the fence - any other opinions on the seriousness of these issues? The question now isn't whether to buy it outright, but rather if these bulkheads are a deal killer, i.e. whether the boat even merits a trip and a professional survey of these bulkheads vs. walking away.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:35   #11

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Looks like a boat that might need a lot of work. I cant tell from the pics what you are talking about, but the bulkhead should be tied to the hull on the bottom.
I would be asking:
1) Why a new mast?
2) Barrier coated on the bottom is sales speak for "blister problem". Just so you know... so find out how it was done, how it was dried out.
3) I have never known anyone who liked boom furling, but they may be out there. Just sayin.... be careful about viewing that as a positive.

Cheech,
Could it have been a "floating bulkhead" that freely/unattached sat in a grooved channel attached to the hull (below the floor and athwartship) but was glassed to the hull on port and starboard down to the floor?
Old 05-02-2015, 09:36   #12

Hi Cheechako - thanks for the thoughts. The new mast and boom furling was for the previous elderly owner. He was struggling with the main sail so put in boom furling with an electric winch so he could control everything from the cockpit. It doesn't matter as much to me, and I'd rather have a traditional arrangement; but I figure it beats in-mast furling, (I'm sure Ben Ainslie would agree!)

I'll check on the barrier coat. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:52   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Cheech,
Could it have been a "floating bulkhead" that freely/unattached sat in a grooved channel attached to the hull (below the floor and athwartship) but was glassed to the hull on port and starboard down to the floor?
Yes it could be, but nevertheless, IMHO this gap should be filled properly. Usually the bulkhead serves to give stiffness not only to the deck vs. bottom bit also athwartships as well, i.e. against any pressure that tries to collapse the topsides/hull toward the centre.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Cheech,
Yes I suppose so. He said it was missing... but maybe it's something else. Some boats were built the way you say... Not sure I would take on offshore though with the bulkhead floating in a groove.
It does sound like it might be a good deal.. but we dont know the price I guess....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:09   #15

I can clarify the price: $10,800.

As far as the missing piece of the bulkhead; I did find one other example of this boat interior with a dinette rather than a settee which is why I thought this might have been a conversion given the glue marks. If that's the case, would the missing lower make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
head