Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2015, 11:04   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Missing lower portion of bulkhead-concern?

After nearly dropping my iMac turning it on its side so I could see the issue with the bulkhead, have a few questions. The Fire Extinguisher does nothing for clarity either.

Is the cut off section below the level of the cabin sole if the sole continued all the way forward?? Form the neatness of the cut, looks like the boat could have been built that way. The bulkhead doesn't take any vertical load as I assume that is handled by the metal post next to it. No need for the bottom of the bulkhead to be resting against anything. If it once was, might account for it being cut off because of inherent rot issues that would engender.

The bulkhead should be laminated to the hull all the way along its length as it is probably a stiffener for reinforcement.

Hard to tell from the pictures whether there has been significant long term leaks. The trim appears to have some water issues but could be just from leaving the port light open through rainstorms over the years. Interesting though that the bulkhead does not appear to be laminated/tabbed to the hull. Maybe be done on the other side though laminating on both sides would be best practice for strength.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:03   #17

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Very sorry to almost cost you a MacBook Peter, I would have owed you more than a few beers! Every time I flipped the photos to upload, they became too large to upload, and I couldn't reduce them on my travelling computer.

Update to the story. I called the owner and laid out the collective wisdom of CF. The mast boot on the new mast is canvas, and was allowing water into the cabin, where it was then trapped by the headliner, and exited onto the inside of the hull at the bulkheads, creating rot at the bottom. Not a huge problem. The real issue is the next one. Thanks for pointing out that there was no tabbing on that starboard bulkhead (I had thought he'd just drilled some out to run wires through it). It actually turns out that despite all the work done, the PO was not a master carpenter, but decided to do things his own way on the boat he owned for four decades. There is in fact no tabbing on ANY of the bulkheads, and they all "sort of shift a bit." Having talked to a few Seafarer owners who had very positive things to say about build quality, this never would have even entered my mind. On the Chesapeake tributaries (I grew up on the Severn) and ICW this was likely fine and didn't create any issues as large waves/side loading forces don't really occur. The current owner didn't mention it because he considers it cosmetic and part of the overall interior work (which in fairness he told me needed a lot of work); he doesn't consider it structural as the steel post is keeping the deck from sagging. When he was planning to use the boat himself, his next step was to spray foam the bulkheads in and then install a new headliner. However, I'm reminded of that Pearson in the Gulf of Mexico with the caved-in hull.

I really wanted this one to work after missing out on a Miura by a week (unbeknownst to the broker I was dealing with who was selling it to me, the owner had already sold it!). Sadly, I really think this is better to pass on. It would still likely be a heck of a deal for anyone who wants to replace bulkheads, only sails in protected waters, or who owns a marine salvage business and does brisk sales in nearly-new parts and lead. Thank you, CF, for your protection!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:06   #18

I should also mention that what I took to be weathered tabbing in those photos is likely actually old glue. So, pictures can be deceiving?
Old 05-02-2015, 12:45   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

FYI, Catalina doesn't tab/laminate their bulkheads either. Laminating/tabing the bulkheads and furniture to the hull makes them stiffeners for the hull. Without that being done, the hull to deck joint is the only stiffener. FRP hulls are surprisingly flexible without reinforcing that the interior furniture or stringers supply. If the bulkheads are carefully fitted, they will supply some stiffening reinforcement. Maybe that's enough as I've seen a lot of Catalinas a long way from home. Personally, would want to go in and laminate everything to the hull.

The mast appears to be deck stepped. If that's the case there should be no boot needed at the deck. There should just be a step fastened to the deck. As long as that was properly caulked it shouldn't leak. If there were leaks through the deck, the core probably is rotted around them. If the leaks continued for a long time, the whole deck could be compromised.

Sounds like it might be a good idea to back away from this boat or at least go into it at a low enough price that fixing the problems won't put you hopelessly under water. There are boats out there all time that are buys especially in our current market. A Vanguard 33 with most cruising goodies like self steering, solar, HF radio, diesel, etc just sold here for $4.000. Needed some TLC after 50 years and at least the last year neglected on a mooring but appeared to be mostly cosmetic. Good luck in your hunt.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 13:10   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
I can clarify the price: $10,800.

As far as the missing piece of the bulkhead; I did find one other example of this boat interior with a dinette rather than a settee which is why I thought this might have been a conversion given the glue marks. If that's the case, would the missing lower make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
At last, a realistic seller. I think it's fair deal for the $10,800 he'll pay you to take it away.
Old 05-02-2015, 13:18   #21

Thanks Peter. It is deck-stepped, but apparently it was stepped in a well that had a drain hole that was unplugged, I'm not sure why, and the wiring from the mast was also not sealed where it entered the deck. Relatively easy fixes, they were just never done.

I wasn't aware that some builders did not tab their bulkheads as standard practice. Thanks for letting me know, but still, there seems like there may be just a lot of unknowns and though it did seem like that great blend of awesome stuff with low price due to a non-showy interior, I'll walk away. Thanks for your help!

Old 05-02-2015, 13:23   #22
Marine Service Provider

I have never seen a "floating" (non-tabbed) bulkhead fitted in other than a full liner boat. I don't see any liner in that photo.
Old 05-02-2015, 13:24   #23

Boatpoker: I have been studying your online self-inspection guide and using it to test out the boats in our club fleet to grow my skills as an amateur sailor (it's startling how many issues I found!). Having you post on a thread I started about self-inspecting a boat before bringing in a professional is like a celebrity showing up at my house (sorry, hoose)!

Old 05-02-2015, 14:09   #24

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

The port settee appears to have been modified revealing the bulkhead... I'd rip up some floor boards, properly secure, and glass in a repair. The cabin trunk seam may have leaked near the electronics bulkhead or water can travel pretty far from the point of egress to appearance inside. For $10K, I don't know if you could expect a cleaner boat... if these are your major issues, seems pretty fixable.
Old 05-02-2015, 14:27   #25

Hi Brownoarsman Hey check out the Seafarer for $9900. in Rhode Island on craigs list. It's been listed for a while now! Or is this that boat!? Mike
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 16:49   #26

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
...It would still likely be a heck of a deal for anyone who wants ...
...to spend the best years of his life overhauling a cheap boat.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 16:54   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
...to spend the best years of his life overhauling a cheap boat.
Cheap boats are the most expensive kind .... I'm working on my third !
My god will I never learn ?
Old 05-02-2015, 17:19   #28

I almost bought an Islander 30 a couple years ago in the recession. I've mentioned it before here; in a nutshell :
New Yanmar 3 cyl
New main and jib
New roller furling
New standing rigging
New main cover
The owner admitted it had blisters. Wife had cancer, he just wanted to dump it. I could have had it for ~$5000.
Seemed worth it to part out, until you really thought about how to do that and what things were really worth.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 18:40   #29

Hahaha, I hear you guys! I shed a tear and moved on Have calls tomorrow about a westerly longbow and a moody 33. Wrong side of the state but that's what they made cars for!

Tags
head