Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2021, 22:16   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 / 46' Bayliner Avanti
Milky pastic windows

Over the past few months the plastic windows on my Catalina dodger have rapidly degraded to a milky mess. I'm not sure whats on them but it's not washing off.

Does anyone have any modern (or most current) product recommendations for treating them?

I'm trying to figure out what's on them. Then it may be easy to find a product that dissolves or reverses it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210614-221035_Gallery.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	313.6 KB
ID:	240392  
newbie- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 23:23   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Milky pastic windows

Your problem is complicated by the poor fit. Are the milky portions on the outward facing bubbles in the clear?

I can't tell from the picture what the source of the whiteness is. However, we have had clears go milky on us when it has been raining for a while (days, not just a few hrs.). The other thing that happens to dodger windows is UV damage, and the plastic goes opaque, not really milky. It also become "dry" and stiff as the plasticizers evaporate. Skin oils can make it go milky, too. In general, just wash with dishwashing detergent, and it will remove dirt. You may need a good quality plastic cleaner. There are different ones available, both cleaners (which will remove stubborn oils) and polishes, which will smooth out the surfaces a bit.

If you want to fix the dodger, it can be done, but it will be a fussy job because you'll need to alter both the "window" and its surround. If you're up for it, it might even be worthwhile to start afresh. (!) Watch the SailRite videos and read the directions, and proceed. Actually, do that either way. Then if you want to have a go at fixing it, send me a PM.

Ann
Old 16-06-2021, 16:43   #3

Yeah - I'm worried it's permanent UV damage. Then the dodger will have to be redone and that's going to take a lot of time and money. I'm not too worried about the fit. We just take the boat out for a few hours a month. No passages. Just needs to be nice enough to safely enjoy a few hours out sailing around.

I'm going to try giving it another scrub from both sides. I'll try a stronger cleaning agent if I have to.
Old 16-06-2021, 17:59   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Are your windows covered when your not using the boat?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 18:17   #5

Boat: O'Day 34

I’ve used a Dremel Versa polisher and motorcycle helmet visor polishing compound in similar applications. You could try a small area in a corner with the compound first to see if it is salvageable.
MartinFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 10:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Are your windows covered when your not using the boat?
Unfortunately it's not part of the kit. There aren't any clips for covers either so doesn't look like it was designed with that in mind.

It was fine for a few years that I've owned it and then suddenly degraded.

I'll try the products suggested. At this point it can't get any worse. They're useless when under way. If anything, it's just a safety hazard at this point.

I suppose I could try a plastic headlight restoration kit if nothing else does the trick.
Old 17-06-2021, 11:10   #7

Boat: Catalina 320

I use Mequiars #17 & #10 in combination, I just pulled up the attached website because it has a good explanation. It's readily available at auto parts, walmart etc.
https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars1017.html
Your dodger seems loose at the foot, might be possible to tighten from there. Some use a track and bead that can come loose, others use "lift the dot" or twist lock fasteners. Good local canvas guy might be able to advise on tightening and making some covers, or replacement windows.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 11:18   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We have just had to replace our two windows, cost £80 with the local sailmaker. They were last replaced 6 years ago. There are different qualities of clear screen material btw.

As Ann said the fit isn't great, but did it ever fit properly? if so has one of the frames moved? I am thinking the one that connects to the other hoop, therefore altering the shape.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 16:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
We have just had to replace our two windows, cost £80 with the local sailmaker. They were last replaced 6 years ago. There are different qualities of clear screen material btw.

As Ann said the fit isn't great, but did it ever fit properly? if so has one of the frames moved? I am thinking the one that connects to the other hoop, therefore altering the shape.

Pete
Not sure. I bought the boat with the dodger on it. It's weathered and the clips no longer reach far enough on the foot. I'm just hoping to restore the visibility so I can enjoy it for a few more years. Other than visibility, it's fine for the type of hobby sailing I do.

I'm in the PNW so any labor is very expensive. It's hard to get anyone out of bed for under $140 an hour. The materials aren't too bad but they're a tiny fraction fo the overall cost.

Before going with another canvas I would be tempted to do a DIY hard dodger. I'd use thicker acrylic windows for it. That would be easier for me to build myself.
Old 17-06-2021, 17:02   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If you have access to a HD sewing machine replacing the clears isn't too hard. Trick is to sew the new material on OVER the extant clears, and then cutting the old out from underneath the new. The fit will not be altered if you follow this plan. Ann and I learned this lesson the hard way...

Jim

Tags
wind