Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 05:46   #1

Boat: Telstar 28
Mildew on Sails

I have noticed some mildew on my laminated sails. What is the proper way to eliminate mildew? I want to make sure and use the right method so the sails aren't damaged.

I found a video of another Telstar on You Tube and was amazed on how bright and clean his sails looked. Check the link if you want to see what the sails are supposed to look like.

Its obvious mine need attention. Any ideas?

Randy
SVLydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 13:08   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Mildew on Sails

Hello s/vLydia,

I am sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings, but according to our sailmaker, once laminated sails get mildew between the layers, that is their death knell. There is no reason not to finish using the sails up, but they will de-laminate.

I'm on a metered connection here, and am not going to look at the video of the other sails, but new and new-ish sails always tend to look better than ones that are on their last legs.

It's time to start saving up for a new or a better set of used sails.

Ann
Old 08-10-2017, 19:11   #3

Ouch Ann!! Not was I was hoping to hear, but thanks for your honesty.

What would it cost for a new laminated sail? I have no idea....just looking for some idea.

Randy
Old 08-10-2017, 19:19   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Talk to a good reputable sailmaker, you may not want or need laminated sails, and only they could give you a price.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:26   #5

I will be in the West Palm Beach area.....any recomendations on a good sail maker?
Old 11-10-2017, 06:42   #6

http://macksails.com in Stuart FL.

I haven’t purchased new sails from them, but I have had a sail repaired. Great work at a fair price. I haven’t heard anything negative about them from anyone.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:58   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

When pondering on sail materials, consider that unless you race, & truly need that last 2-3% of performance, going to a laminate on a boat this size falls into the luxury category. And odds are that laminated sails won't last nearly as long either. Note, that being a go fast aficianado, I'm all about having good sail shape. Which on a boat that size shouldn't be tough to achieve with Dacron. And tri-radial sails made from same may be the way to go as a balance of great shape,& long life.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 04:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
When pondering on sail materials, consider that unless you race, & truly need that last 2-3% of performance, going to a laminate on a boat this size falls into the luxury category. And odds are that laminated sails won't last nearly as long either. Note, that being a go fast aficianado, I'm all about having good sail shape. Which on a boat that size shouldn't be tough to achieve with Dacron. And tri-radial sails made from same may be the way to go as a balance of great shape,& long life.
I have little knowledge of sails so your comments are greatly appreciated. I read a few old posts talking about workmanship quality of sail makers, sounds like you would need to know a bit more than I do before ordering a sail.

Can you explain tri-radial? Where would you get your sails made?

Tags
sail, sails