Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2009, 21:51   #1

Micron 66 vs Trinidad SR

So I am in the process of scraping my bottom paint off of my boat. I have a couple blisters that I plan on grinding down and filling so it will be nice and smooth. I am thinking of putting about 4 coats of Interprotect 2000 on while the paint is off, but what I really need the info on is bottom paint.

I have narrowed it down to either Micron 66, or Trinidad SR. I live in Bellingham, WA (PNW in other words), so I really think either one will hold up great. I am SCUBA certified, so diving it a couple times a year to scrub a little isn't too much of an issue (I would prefer not to scrub Micron 66 because it isn't exactly hard). I hopefully wont be hauling out again until I need new bottom paint, so that feature of the Micron doesn't do me much good. I like the idea about the Micron not building up, but does it really work this way. I have heard mixed reasults with the other versions of Micron paints, is the 66 that different?

So what has been everyones experience with these two products.

Thanks in advance,
Sly
JRSly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009, 04:04   #2

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
My experience with Trinidad SR has been very good. Maine to the Bahamas for 4 years. Pulled her about 6 weeks ago and very few barnacles. Power washed and she looks good. Will add another coat in the fall prior to splashing.
Old 14-06-2009, 11:15   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
A friend of mine keeps his Cal 34 at my dock on Whidbey Island. (PNW)

He's a real fan of Trinidad SR, and although his boat gets little use, the paint seems to stay clean forever. I think he gets at least 4 years between haul outs.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 13:23   #4

Thanks for the info. I am really thinking that Trinidad SR is the way to go, and this is kind of confirming it.

Sly
JRSly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 07:16   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSly View Post
Thanks for the info. I am really thinking that Trinidad SR is the way to go, and this is kind of confirming it.
Good choice. You won't regret it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 08:24   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
I'll second that for Trinidad SR - This is the longest I have gone w/o a bottom job and it's going strong after three years. I plan on hauling out sometime this summer to repaint and have already bought more Trinidad SR.

Not sure about your water conditions, but here is SE US - particularly in brackish waters - there is very rapid growth... I scrub the bottom about every three to four weeks to stay ahead. This paint takes scrubbing very well. I recommend painting the first coats (over the barrier) with a different color paint - so that when it wears down to the initial coat(s), you have advance warning and plan for your next bottom job. I used red as that color to make it easier to see through the black outer coats.

The "SR" (slime reduction) part of the Trinidad SR seems to loose its effectiveness in less than a year and "slime" does start covering the bottom; scrubbing and/or frequent use of the boat is very helpful. The antifouling part remains effective for years.

Good luck!

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:28   #7

Boat: Bristol 29
I think your decision is based on whether you want to sand / scrape your bottom the next time you redo your bottom paint. If you use the Micron you won't have to sand or scrape. If you use the Trinidad you will. Either paint will work effectively in your part of the country.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:32   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaWriter View Post
I think your decision is based on whether you want to sand / scrape your bottom the next time you redo your bottom paint. If you use the Micron you won't have to sand or scrape. If you use the Trinidad you will. Either paint will work effectively in your part of the country.
Sanding/scraping will definitely give the best results (w/ Trinidad) - however, since there are so many environmental restrictions on sanding/scraping, I asked the yard to go extra heavy with the pressure wash and applied Trinidad afterwards with excellent results. I have been following this approach (heavy pressure wash) for almost six or seven bottom jobs with the same satisfactory results.

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:34   #9

Boat: Tanton (CT), 44, New Sensation
Well I think both are great. I've used both. At present I'm using Micron 66 with just over two years on it. I get slime but it wipes off with a rag and if the boat is moving (like when on vacation) it stays clean. I'm a little further south in Puget Sound but as stated above both work well in our area. Friends that have been south in Mexico and Central America did not have as good of luck with a self polishing paint and went back to Trinidad. YMMV
S/V New Sensation is offline   Reply With Quote