Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2014, 11:16   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Med Mooring - how long for a boarding plank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
Our wooden one is about 2.3m long which is about the average length around the Adriatic. You can get lightweight fibreglass or aluminium ones which fold up for easier storage or do as we do which is lash it to a couple of guardrail stanchions.

To prevent damage to boat and passerelle from rubbing we wrapped a 3m length of rope around the ends and through the gaps and have 2 lengths of thin line tied to each end so we can easily lift the end to "raise the drawbridge" as I like to call it.

Whatever you do don't make it too short, 1.5m is probably too short, as you want to make sure your stern is far enough from a concrete wall to prevent wake/wash from other boats pushing you back on or in the event of stormy conditions the same think happening. 99% of the time you will be on bowlines (with lazylines) so you can reduce the "bounce" by ensuring you tie these tight then reverse back on them to tie the stern lines but even so you will move back and fore. Thankfully tidal range in the Med is minimal but can be up to 1m sometime more if the wind is the wrong way.

Keiron
Maybe to little to much info.. Sounds like you have a good handle on it for your specific situation. Sounds like a good idea getting double duty.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 11:16   #17

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Thanks, all. These ideas really help. The extent of my Med cruising was. One week bareboat charter in Geeece, and there was a wooden plank on board lashed to the lifelines. Of course, I did not bother to measure it when we had the boat!

My constraint is that I am using our boarding ladder to do double duty, both as a ladder and a passerelle. Since we don't have a lot of freeboard, I can't make the ladder too long and still keep it clear of the water when at anchor.

After reading your suggestions, we went back and tweaked the design to give us length of six feet when rigged as a passerelle. I'm sure there will be times I wish it was longer, but this is all I can do with the limitations I have.

Cheers!

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 12:50   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

btw , im not a fan of aluminium ladders used horizontally. they are not rated to carry much load in that orientation

dave
Old 30-10-2014, 13:06   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
btw , im not a fan of aluminium ladders used horizontally. they are not rated to carry much load in that orientation

dave
That's a damn good point. His intention seems to be use it horizontally that might buckle first time used?
Old 30-10-2014, 15:33   #20

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Not sure if the statement about ladders not being rated to take load in the transverse direction was pointed at me or not. If so, we are having the ladder built strong enough to carry the loads I expect it to see. There is no "rating" since its a custom job.

We will make it as strong as practical, and if it bends to much, I'll come up with another plan.

Thanks everyone for the input! Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 15:51   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Not sure if the statement about ladders not being rated to take load in the transverse direction was pointed at me or not. If so, we are having the ladder built strong enough to carry the loads I expect it to see. There is no "rating" since its a custom job.

We will make it as strong as practical, and if it bends to much, I'll come up with another plan.

Thanks everyone for the input! Cheers!

Steve
Good that you are having it built. Seems ones off the shelf are built for vert. loads, as they where intended, but not in most cases horizontal load baring.
Old 30-10-2014, 15:56   #22

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I imagine that if you needed something long, & still stowable. You could make a couple of composite (cored) planks, say 6' long (so they'll fit into a spare bunk). And then have a sliding connection system in the middle for them, much like a roofing ladder. Thus you'd get 9'-10' without much trouble.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 18:20   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

I agree with Dave's point here, as it applies to most alum ladders, and to "generic" ladders....

But, if you look at the construction trade here in the States, you'll see that there ARE ladders that ARE rated for horizontal use (as scaffolding / walkways / gangplanks), these are not your "hardware store" / "discount store" alum ladders, but most are fiberglass (GRP), although there are some alum ones.....and many/most are OSHA rated...
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
So, if 'ya lucky (???) enough to live in the States or have access to horizontal rated "ladders" all is well for their use as passerelles....

If, however, you're looking at inexpensive generic alum ladders, and/or discount store ladders, you should heed Dave's warning...

BTW, one of my brothers met me in Gib, and sailed back to the Caribbean with me....he's 6' 5" tall and ~ 300lbs....and I'm only a little smaller/shorter....and neither of us even made my passerelle flex / budge....

Fair winds to all...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 07:45   #24

They make a ladder that folds and can be used as a straight ladder, A type step ladder or a scaffold with its owe supports. Maybe just the ticket for your needs.

Maybe someone else remembers the name and source and will add to this?

Tags
mooring