Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2009, 15:57   #1

McMurry Windlass - Parts Search

Sorry, long post but....There are probably 100's of McMurry windlasses out there still pulling up chain and many of them have had or will need servicing. About 5 years ago I found Hayner Marine in Seattle was still offering parts but there are no longer in business. Doc Freeman's the original supplier is long since out of business. Does anyone know who is offering parts / motors? I am in search of a motor, mine is bi-directional.

My research indicates that some of the McMurry's out there only work in the UP position which probably means that their owner needed a new motor and was unable to find a bi-directional motor so choses to replace it with the more-common starter motor. McMurry's have a clutch-brake system which would allow you to lower the chain without the motor...probably not the best, but it would work. I am fairly certain that the original motor used in the McMurry (at least my model 1000) is a "Ford Long Shaft" starter-type motor with windings/posts for use in both directions. It may be a Prestolite motor. The replacement motor I got from Hayner was stamped 3125 which may refer to a Lester p/n. Googling for 3125 picked up no results. Anyone know a good source?

The starter motors get REAL hot when used in the windlass application. This is because they were not designed for continous duty. A starter is typically run for short intervals (up to 30 seconds) then allowed to cool before it is re-used. Most boat owners lack the patience for this or the situation will not permit it when hoisting anchor. If anyone know of a long-shaft motor for continous duty I am all ears. I hope this info and the possible answers that others can share will benefit other McMurry owners. Cheers.
nfnity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 09:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard nfnity.

The Starter Motor Buyer's Guide cross-references most manufacturer’s starters. Perhaps you can find a match there:
http://www.prestolite.com/literature..._Guide_stm.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 10:34   #3

I have gotten real smart in the last 24 hours. I have found a source for the original OEM motor specs. $229 + shipping from Western Motors Service. 800-810-0401, ask for Dave. This is a 12v bi-directional motor with double-ball-bearing guides. This motor should be faster, stronger (hp) and able to run longer without overheating. Yeah!~ I hope this saves other McMurry windlass owners a ton of time researching...this took about 6 hours on internet to nail down. FYI, I may have also found a source for the gears inside the winch....complements of someone elses research on a different forum. I am researching now to see if the gears match the ones in the model 1000 McMurry that I have. I will post an update when I know.
nfnity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 21:36   #4

Re: McMurry Windlass - Parts Search

I'm looking for a gypsy for mine.any ideas on where or who I could contact?
Monty12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 21:59   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

McMurry windlasses - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
www.cruisersforum.com › ... ›
Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Feb 25, 2015 - 5 posts - ‎2 authors
Can anyone tell me the quality and capabilities of the McMurry windlass ? I know they are out ... The motors are old Ford tractor starter motors.
McMurray Windlass info 15 posts5 Aug 2014
For Sale: McMurry Windlass Anchor Winch 2 posts 27 Sep 2011
McMurry Windlass - Parts Search 3 posts13 Jul 2009
Repair or Replace the Motor in My McMurray Anchor ... 6 posts 19 Jul 2008

McMurray windlass info - Trawler Forum
www.trawlerforum.com › ... › Maintenance and Systems › Anchors and Anchoring
Aug 5, 2014 - This could save fellow McMurray windlass owners weeks/months of research! ... Gear parts, bearings, and motor for the McMurry windlass.
New anchor chain - before I wind it into the locker.28 Feb 2018.
Weight/tonnage - Page 21 Oct 2018
Windlass is terminal 17 Mar 2015

Re: Reversing starter motor.

01/24/2009 4:40 AM
Most starter motors are series wound, which means reversing the connections reverses the field in both stator & rotor, resulting in no change of direction.
You need to get inside & break the connection between the field winding (stator) and the brushes (rotor), and reconnect with one or the other reversed. For best flexibility, bring all four leads out, & connect externally.

https://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/32...Starter-Motors
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 20:07   #6

Boat: Fraser 42 ft Center cockpit sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty12345 View Post
I'm looking for a gypsy for mine.any ideas on where or who I could contact?

I needed a new gypsy for my McMurray winch last year and went to R. C. Plath in Seattle. My chain was metric so they had to improvise which is one of their strengths apparantly. It ran about $380 with shipping but was also handmade I believe. 503.668.5757

cheers, John
Hyrdflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 17:43   #7

I have a Mc Murry windless anchor winch I would like to sell... working very well
Sail123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc