Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 09:40   #1

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38
Materials for use on interior

So I am planning on a minor redesign of my main cockpit/cabin area of my boat. The main project is to build a set of benches which will also include storage underneat the seats, would also like to build a small table.

While I am very crafty with wood and have a lot of experience in working with wood and building wood structures and what not what I have zero experience in is actually picking out the types of wood to use. So I was wondering what someone would recommend for such a project? This area is totally covered/enclosed and would likely only see water exposure from wet clothing.

What type and grade of plywood is best used?

What type and grade of wood is best used for the main structure of the benches?

What thickness of each is appropriate?

I am also planning on a painted finish and was wondering if I should go to the expense and hassle of covering with fiberglass or if just a good layer of epoxy based primer and paint is sufficient?
natew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 13:30   #2

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Materials for use on interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by natew View Post
So I am planning on a minor redesign of my main cockpit/cabin area of my boat. The main project is to build a set of benches which will also include storage underneat the seats, would also like to build a small table.

While I am very crafty with wood and have a lot of experience in working with wood and building wood structures and what not what I have zero experience in is actually picking out the types of wood to use. So I was wondering what someone would recommend for such a project? This area is totally covered/enclosed and would likely only see water exposure from wet clothing.

What type and grade of plywood is best used?

What type and grade of wood is best used for the main structure of the benches?

What thickness of each is appropriate?

I am also planning on a painted finish and was wondering if I should go to the expense and hassle of covering with fiberglass or if just a good layer of epoxy based primer and paint is sufficient?
That's kind of a "how long is a piece of string" kind of question because there are so many factors. But generally, and based on the information provided, go with BS 1088 grade marine plywood from Bruynzeel or Shelmarine. For lazarettes, I'd use 3/4", with penetrating epoxy soaked into the cut edges, trimmed with teak. Same for the table. Forget the glassing, just go with a catalyzed polyurethane paint. I have had good luck and longevity from System 3 water based 2 part system. Just one opinion......
Old 01-11-2013, 14:47   #3

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Materials for use on interior

Check out Spanish Cedar. It's one of my favorites to use. 9 tenths the strength of mahogany and half the weight. It also machines nicely. For plywood I prefer Okume Marine ply, very strong and light. I also use Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer before I apply any type of finish coating.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior