Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2019, 07:38   #31

Re: Masts: Thicker , or wider

So after reading the whole thread I believe we are all analyzing this very well. To answer the original question of which is "stronger" maybe the original post can define the specific dimensions of the two masts in question. I assume the height will be the same and rigging will be same supporting either one. Other needed measurements, data would be material type and cross sectional profile. If the original post could provide at least this information engineers responding can calculate which mast being considered would be stronger, which is the original question. So let's get some specific data to work with from the original post to work with.

We are all in agreement there are other means that will strengthen the rig no matter what mast is chosen. Each has pros and cons and as stated before my need applied professional advice for this specific boat.

Cyrus Safdari could you provide the specifics of the masts your looking at so these good people can help answer your question.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 18:01   #32

Boat: Lagoon 37 TPI
Re: Masts: Thicker , or wider

Ok guys. I just googled mast section profiles and ended up heres:

MetalMast Performance Mast Sections

I picked two that were almost equal in weight/ft. See the attched excel file for the calculations. One is wider and thinner when compared to the other.

Bottom line, depends on the loading.

Also, sorry for picking these two. I was just busting through the calcs and not really looking at the numbers until I got to the end and WTF on the low buclking numbers. These must be for a sail board after looking at the sizes.

But............just enter the numbers for the profile you want. Should be straight forward.
Attached Files
File Type: xls section_calcs.xls (103.5 KB, 20 views)
Eigenvector is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast