Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2016, 19:36   #16

Boat: catalina 400 MKII
Re: Mast tabernacle testimony and experience

The tabernacle can use the boom as the lifting (dropping) arm. It tilts forward. Put on side bridles. The mast can rest on the bow pulpit, then you take it off the base. Two people can easily lift it onto a rack you make for the bow and for the stern. Then you can travel, or work, at your leisure. Yes, all the parts need to be 1st class, but it's really pretty easy. On your boat it will work. As I said earlier, the trick is to use it carefully and correctly each and every time.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 22:48   #17

Boat: Venture Newporter, cutter, 23

Irving Johnson had Sparkman and Stephens design a 50 + ft. ketch for cruising in the canals of Europe. There were tabernacles for both masts. It was written up and illustrated in National Geagraphic magazine back in the 1970s I believe. It shouldn't be to hard to research and see his tabernacles.
They enabled the Johnsons to transit the canals as well as sail the North Sea and shallows of the islands of Friesland.
Cdpatching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 15:56   #18

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c-m View Post
The tabernacle can use the boom as the lifting (dropping) arm. It tilts forward. Put on side bridles. The mast can rest on the bow pulpit, then you take it off the base. Two people can easily lift it onto a rack you make for the bow and for the stern. Then you can travel, or work, at your leisure. Yes, all the parts need to be 1st class, but it's really pretty easy. On your boat it will work. As I said earlier, the trick is to use it carefully and correctly each and every time.
Not sure how that would work on the Eastward. Most I've seen always raise and lower the mast from the stern. In this case, even mounting it backwards it seems the raised cabin roof behind the mast would interfere with the bottom of the mast kicking outward if you tried to set it up to drop to the bow. I could be wrong, since I'm only going by the pictures I've seen of that style boat. But that also means that unless you set up a fitting on the front of the mast for the boom to mount to rigidly, it would need to be a different pole/frame setup instead.
Old 30-12-2016, 16:25   #19

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

CharizO, Yes, the cabin would (or at least could) get in the way if the mast is lowered to the stern. If it lowers towards the front, the cabin top will not be in the way. The mast is lowered and sticks way out in front of the boat. It is still conected at the base of the mast at the tabernacle. For the short time of going under a bridge, you just leave it that way, and raise the mast back up when you have passed under the bridge. If you want to extend your cruising, like on a canal with multiple bridges, or to work on the mast, you want a more stable arrangement. That's when you make a crutch for the mast that fits on the bow pulpit and another that fits on the stern rail. This is usually made out of some 2x4s. Tie up at a dock and lift the mast out of the tabernacle and then place it on the crutches. Perhaps a third point on the cabin top. Yes, this takes two people, and a bit of work, but it is not technically difficult, just time consuming. Take off the shrouds and stays etc.

Here are a few videos. Rigging the tabernacle system is more detailed than in these videos, so do more investigation before you do this yourself. These videos do, however, give you a general idea:

What these videos don't show well, is the importance of making a bridle for the boom so that it doesn't fall off to port or starboard. Because the boom is the lifting (or lowering) arm it is cruicial that it is held in the same plane as the motion of the mast. On my boat I made a cable that clipped from the end of the boom to each of the stern lower shroud chainplates. That geometry worked perfectly for my (Catalina 30) boat. Many people use the mainsheet for the boom to boat attachment. A 3:1 purchase works fine. For a larger boat, like the Catalina 30, I used an electric winch. Lots of details to investigate, but you get the idea. By the way, I never let anyone stand under the mast as it ws lowered. I never let anyone sit in the cockpit under the boom either. Not after ... OK, here's a little story ...

One time when lowering the mast I didn't correctly clip on the boom bridal to the aft lower chainplate. And I didn't check it!! Yep, the mast was comming down, and then the boom slipped over to the starboard side and the mast crashed down. No one was hurt, but if anyone had been sitting in the cockpit, they could have been killed. Believe me, I spent a (lot of) sleepless night(s) reliving that moment. After that I did three things: First, I always checked and rechecked the rigging. Second, I made sure that no-one every sat under the arc of the mast from the lowering cable attached to the boom, to the foredeck. Everyone had to be in back of the cable, or in the cabin. Oh, the third thing? I got a slip on the front of that damn bridge (it took a few years on the waiting list) and never used the tabernacle again!!
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 16:40   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mast tabernacle testimony and experience

In the UK the common method is with the spinnaker pole making the axis.. as the example in link below..

Haulout and Mast Lowering

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 19:22   #21

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18

A lot of great ideas and insight.funny you mentioned the Erie Canal I was reading up on the canal and that's what was one of the inspirations for the idea, also as stated I'm strengthening the deck plate anyway. I agree the coach roof would be in the way, I was also thinking of dropping it foreword, and using the boom as a lever, haven't gotten that far yet, I kinda just assumed I'd use my winches and devise a system. from all the responses it seems it's not an easy feat solo. The eh24 in the link does clearly have one. Thanks everyone if I end up constructing anything you'll be hearing from me!!!!
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, mast