Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2007, 17:50   #1

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
mast switch

Another crazy question.

Are Mast interchangeable on production boats.
Specificley Mac 25, Catalina 25 and Hunter 25.

A site I was at showed the sail size (I J P E) and all three are very close at the (P E).

The why is my mast has a spot at the spreaders which makes me nervous. Looks like it has been re enforced.

I know I know but I was just so anious to get a learning boat. It was at a slip, it was floating, the fiber glass above the water was good. The PRICE for a learner was great.

Mine is the Mac 25. Very light and a lot of fun on Tampa Bay
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 18:07   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You would have to contact each maker to find out what spar they use, and if it is customized for their boat. You might be able to "make do" and "make fit" but the best way to make sure, is to contact the spar maker(s).
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 18:08   #3

Boat: C&C 27
Of course the mast specified for the boat by the designer will be the best fit in terms of matching chainplates, tabernacles, etc. and also it will be aligned with the performance specifications of the rest of the boat. But you can find a mast to change out with another boat.

The thing to do at this point though, is to find a rigger/surveyor to take a lookg at the stick you have and give you some idea of the problems it has.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 18:57   #4

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
Thumbs up Thanks

Good Advice

At least is easy enough to drop.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 00:50   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Yes take a look at what you have.

Our boat was demasted a few years ago. The manufacturer doesn't make masts anymore. The new mast and boom is a Selden.

Basically near as I can tell the specs of the old mast were provided, a tremendous number of through mast and through boom options were offered and explored. End fittings and so on were decided upon and the new stick was ordered and shipped.

If you are thinking to get a "used" mast from another boat then that's another matter.

The new mast, boom and rodkicker for our 27 foot boat was just at $10,000 USD. On top of that were new sails at around $4,000. Not for the faint of heart.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast