Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2015, 06:00   #1
Marine Service Provider

Mast pulling/rigging on older sailboat near Annapolis. Costs? Expectations?

I am restoring a somewhat neglected 1980 Morgan 382 and am now considering pulling the stick for inspection, rewiring, upgrades. Near Annapolis there are many options for yards and service providers so I am looking for any advice, suggestions or recommendations.

Also-if you have undergone a similar situation in the last few years, perhaps you can provide some ideas as to ballpark costs for pulling the stick, inspecting, sanding and coating (not painting) the mast, rewiring etc assuming there are no major problems or wiring or connections needing replacement. I am aware of a few issues specific to this model--the weld in the mast, the lower forward shroud chainplate (has been corrected) etc.

Does anyone know if West River Rigging is still in business? I have sent an email and called and the website appears active...but no response in three days?

Thanks in advance.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 08:23   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Mast pulling/rigging on older sailboat near Annapolis. Costs? Expectations?

I did a complete re-rig of my boat last summer and talked to (or attempted to talk to) probably eight different rigging operations in the middle and upper Chesapeake and highly recommend Ken Broman of Oak Harbor Marina in Pasadena. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

I’d be happy to share more of my experiences/impressions of some of the other rigging operations I talked to via PM if you are interested.

BTW, I also contacted West River Rigging and never heard back so they may be out of business.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 15:05   #3

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

I did this to my Tartan 37 years ago. Did a complete refit. I stripped the mast of every piece of hardware (need impact tools and MAP gas to heat the fittings for removal as this stuff needs to come off before you coat). Retapped the fittings and put them in properly with caulk---this was not done at the factory and some of the things were very difficult to remove. The costs will be the cost of removing the mast, the lay days in the yard, etc if you do the work yourself. There should be little need for professional help. I suggest you consider replacing all the rigging and new conduit. I am not sure what you mean by "coating" but I sanded the mast and coated it with Alidol and spent $600 to have it Awlgripped. Still looks nice after many years.

Ray
Tartan 37 Velera

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 05:37   #4
Marine Service Provider

Thanks! Alodine not alidol I believe...
Old 18-06-2015, 08:58   #5

I just had rig pulled on 44 ft sloop. Cost at Jabin's in Annapolis was
$250. That was for crane. Rigger labor to disconnect rigging etc was another $200. No charge for storage at rigger, but they are doing work on rig. Annapolis Riggi g is doing rig work. Other good option is Hartge Yacht Harbour in Galesville to pull rig and Eastport Rigging (located at HYB) to do the work.

Good luck
bluewaterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 10:03   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 36

You might try ESR Eastport Spar and Rigging at Hartge Yacht Harbor on West River 410-867-6633
KHJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 13:40   #7
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for all the replies...I have no problem finding a rigger or their phone numbers. I am trying to get an idea of what others have done and might have paid for these services as I think they vary widely....Is it best to work directly at a shop's site or pull it at any yard and have a mobile service come? Any advantages or disadvantages, or r if there are any pointers about how to save some $ or do some of it myself.

Thanks!

Tags
annapolis, mast, rigging, sail, sailboat