Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2010, 10:36   #1

Mast Drain (or Lack Thereof !)

Just figured out that the mast on my Yankee 30 is not draining. I had always assumed that surely S&S would have designed a way for the mast to drain into the bilge, but am now questioning that the mast has a drain at all! I've attached pictures of the mast step from another Yankee. The other boats owner thinks that the hole (bright flash reflection in the middle of the ring in the side view) is intended as a drain. If so, it would drain onto the floor of the head. More improtantly, it would still leave a lot of water in the base. My base doesn't have the hole, so it must have be done by his boat's PO.
Any input as to where a plugged drain might be? What are the two depressions for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yankee 30 mast step side.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	15351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yankee 30 mast step top.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	15352  

L124C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 10:45   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
What are the two depressions for?
If it were deck steped then they could be for wires/cables to run threw.
Not sure where your bilge is but mine has holes/notches P/S for the water to drain out of the casting and into the bilge.
Old 15-04-2010, 11:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If it were deck steped then they could be for wires/cables to run threw.
Not sure where your bilge is but mine has holes/notches P/S for the water to drain out of the casting and into the bilge.
The bilge seems to run up to the bulkhead directly behind the mast (the partition with the 3" hole, in the pictures). Though, the other partition in the pictures sits on or near a channel (beneath the floor) which allows water from the bow to get to the bilge. The boat is a 1971 BTW. Did they even do deck step in 71?
Old 15-04-2010, 12:08   #4

Actually, as you can see in the pictures, the bulkhead is cut out to allow for the mast step (should have noticed that before ). So, the back of the step has direct access to the Bilge. Hard to believe S&S wouldn't have divised a way drain the mast there!
Old 21-04-2010, 20:44   #5

Boat: Yankee 30, Mk III - "Amigo"
Factory built Yankee 30s were all keel stepped. None had deck stepped masts. That was part of S&S design.
yankee30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 21:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee30 View Post
Factory built Yankee 30s were all keel stepped. None had deck stepped masts. That was part of S&S design.
I'm aware of that. If you look back at thread, I think you will see where the question of deck vs. keel stepping arose (I was asking if any boat designers in general used deck steps back in 71). More importantly, any idea how the S&S designed, factory built, keel stepped Yankee's drain their mast? Cuz mine ain't drainin no mo!
Old 21-04-2010, 22:56   #7

Boat: Islander 36
I think builders didn't live in the real world when your boat and mine were built. I mean, why would a mast need to drain?

My mast is about 3/4" shorter than it stared out. Had to trim off that much to get one straight strong piece of metal to sit down onto the base.
Old 22-04-2010, 06:58   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I think builders didn't live in the real world when your boat and mine were built. I mean, why would a mast need to drain?

My mast is about 3/4" shorter than it stared out. Had to trim off that much to get one straight strong piece of metal to sit down onto the base.
Exactually, builders don't sail the things, just try to make money from them. They are not like airplanes! The improvements they make are to hull performance, not longevity.

It's up to the individual owners to do some of the finish work.

Tags
mast