Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 07:52   #1

Marinized Kubota Engine . . . What Are the Differences ?

What are the differences between a marine kubota/yanmar .... diesel engine and a standard tractor kubota engine?

Charles
micheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:01   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: What are the differences ... kubota

instead of a radiator they have a seawater heat exchanger........other than that, nil.
I buy kubota parts from a tractor dealer........
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23   #3

Re: Marinized Kubota Engine . . . What Are the Differences ?

Add to the list water pump">Raw water pump, exhaust mixing elbow with high temp sensor (could be a totaly different exhaust manifold), antifreeze expansion tank, and a much better intake manifold than what is on the marinized version.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:55   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Are Kubota and Yanmar the same engine ?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:18   #5

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Are Kubota and Yanmar the same engine ?
not at all,

both are japanese,
both are mounted on ground quipments,
both are mounted as marine engines,
both are robust and reliable

bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil56 View Post
not at all,

both are japanese,
both are mounted on ground quipments,
both are mounted as marine engines,
both are robust and reliable

Get a price list for common parts from a kubota dealer such as Beta Marine and then compare the same parts for a Yanmar. You'll find the difference.
Old 01-08-2015, 20:09   #7

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

As others have opined Volvos are very expensive repairs and difficult to get parts for...especially on this big pond called the Pacific.

Before you really feel about replacing the diesel...make sure it needs to be replaced. Diesels can be very hard beasts if treated well. Putting a new engine is not only expensive...but can involve new motor mount sleds being built under the engine, rewiring, exhaust elbows, alternator differences, mounts, piping, hook up to the drive shaft...on and on. Not to be taken lightly (economically speaking)!

I recently went to the Oakland Boat Show and spoke at length to a the Beta Marine people. The Kubotas are the shizzle. Like others have said...excellent support on west coast and Pacific basin, cheaper prices for repairs and parts, and excellent reputation amongst the boating community.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 21:07   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Yanmar and Kubota both are primarily tractor and industrial engine manufacturers. Yanmar is marketed in the US and rebranded by John Deere. Kubota sells under their own name in the States. They are not the same the engines but are similar because they are designed for similar use. Kubota sells their engines to companies that marinize them like Beta and others. Yanmar does that in house and sells under their own name. Marinizing includes a heat exchanger different exhaust manifold, and raw water pump. You can also buy them with raw water cooling which does away with the heat exchanger and possibly the raw water pump and are cheaper.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 23:46   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

While both Kubota and Yanmar build and sell tractor engines etc, there are some differences of approach re design philosophy for small marine diesels between the two companies.

Most new yanmars in the ~<75 hp range are lighter weight and run at considerably higher rpm than the equivalent Kubota. Some folks like that feature, others view it as a drawback. I personally prefer a bit more displacement and lower engine speeds, and am pretty happy with my Kubota based Nanni 43 hp. This is a simple 2 litre tractor engine which is red-lined at 2800 rpm. I believe that the similar hp Yanmar is a bit less displacement, and is red lined at 3600. Yanmar owners correct me if I'm wrong here...

At any rate, most any modern marine diesel, if maintained and run reasonably will last for many, many hours. The routine maintenance does vary between marques, though... eg, Yanmar views their exhaust mixing elbows as a regular replacement item on some engines. These are pricey and IMO should last a hell of a lot longer than what Yanmar figures! The one on my engine has over 4000 hours usage and seems fine.

I believe that in most all cases, the parts most likely to cause problems are not the basic tractor engine bits but the marinization add-ons. Sadly, these are the ones you can't buy at the tractor store! They have that dread word"marine" attached to them... you know, the tag that triples the price!

The above is not represented as expert opinion, just one developed over a lot of years of observation, and of listening to folks bitching about engine problems.

Jim
Old 02-08-2015, 05:23   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Most new yanmars in the ~<75 hp range are lighter weight and run at considerably higher rpm than the equivalent Kubota. Some folks like that feature, others view it as a drawback. I personally prefer a bit more displacement and lower engine speeds, and am pretty happy with my Kubota based Nanni 43 hp. This is a simple 2 litre tractor engine which is red-lined at 2800 rpm. I believe that the similar hp Yanmar is a bit less displacement, and is red lined at 3600. Yanmar owners correct me if I'm wrong here...
Jim,

This isn't universally true with Kubota - it depends on the specific base engine. The 10-35hp range Kubotas typically are governed to 3600rpm, while the larger ones are 2800.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 18:33   #11

I am marineizing a Kubota Z482 into basically a Beta 14. I have learned that the serial number is everything. If you have a branded Kubota, you cannot buy parts from Beta. The same for Deere or Kubota. You need to provide the S/N when ordering parts, if it is not correct to your provider you are out of luck. I have found parts and willing to share info if asked. Here are pictures of what I have so far.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1442626371.534215.jpg
Views:	1490
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	109362Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1442626386.535834.jpg
Views:	4605
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	109363[ATTACH]109364[/ATTACH

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1442626417.401014.jpg
Views:	1509
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	109364  
ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 19:24   #12

Boat: WALLER MKII CAT 11M

HI, what bell housing are you using on the picture above. PM sent
delcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 20:40   #13

Try these people:
http://www.hayescouplings.com/mobile...Irrigation.php

ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 21:21   #14

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
v

Jim
Jim: At some point, Yanmar reduced the red-line for many of their engines in this size range. I have a J3H3E of 40 hp (circa 1999) and it indeed has the 3600 r.p.m. red line that you stated. The current offering from Yanmar in this size is the 3JH5 of 39 hp and it red lines at 3000 r.p.m.

Another difference is physical, external dimensions. For most installations this is not a factor. However a recent design I was working on required the absolute shortest engine. By an inch or two, the Yanmar 3YM30 was found to be shorter than any other engine of that horsepower.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 03:19   #15

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I was told, but can't confirm, that universal's marinization of kubota blocks was limited to the wet exhaust manifold, the water pump (jobbed out to Sherwood), and the freeze plugs.

brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine