Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 23:35   #1

Boat: Hunter 420
Marine Air: Reset or Fuse ?

I have a Marine Air a/c system on my boat. 1 unit forward, 1 aft, both have their own passport panel, but share 1 raw water intake.

When the seawater strainer clogs with grass, usually the panels read HHH letting me know the unit has overheated. I unclog the seawater strainer and start right back up.

The strainer clogged tonight while I was sleeping. Both panels are now unlit and neither will start up. the generator is working fine and shows 120 volts to their side of the panel.

I am in the Abaco Islands on a cruise and am sure I will have problems finding help.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of reset button or fuse on the units I need to check...or other ideas?

any ideas very much appreciated!

thanks,
Guy
lkhebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 23:58   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Here is a link to the Marine Air Vector manual (one of the most common) and the troubleshooting table.

VECTOR COMPACT

First place to check would be the circuit breaker for the A/C unit itself, as well as for the seawater pump, if there is a separate one.

I know of no reset button or fuse on the units themselves, but you should have one dedicated breaker for each A/C unit. There is a fuse on the mechanical control panels, but not on the Passport digital controls.

For help in the Abacos, try Abaco Yacht Services (Green Turtle Cay), Marsh Harbor Boat Yard, or Edwin Boat Yard (Man O War Cay). You can also ask for advice on the Abaco Cruisers Net (8:15 am, VHF 68).

Good Luck.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 00:08   #3

thanks for the reply...

* The manual you linked is my unit..thanks for the link....I do have one on board and ran through the trouble shooting section w/o success
* Each unit and seawater pump have separate circuit breaker..all seem OK...lit up, switched on, and panel shows 120v to their separate 'B' panel
* I'm at Man o War now and was going to talk to Edwin's Monday...Marsh Harbor yard backed up until July!
* I'll put out my SOS on the cruisers net this morning...and ask around at the Nipper's pig roast tomorrow...

I cruised through the Bahamas 15 years ago w/o a/c and didn't have a problem...this time with 3 kids, no a/c doesn't seem to be an option for any of us......
Old 13-06-2010, 03:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkhebert View Post
I have a Marine Air a/c system on my boat. 1 unit forward, 1 aft, both have their own passport panel, but share 1 raw water intake...

Each a/c unit installed requires its own dedicated circuit breaker. If there is only one a/c unit installed, the sea water pump does not require a circuit breaker, the wiring from the sea water pump is connected to the terminal strip in the electric box. If two or more a/c units use the same sea water pump, the pump wires will be connected to a pump relay panel (PRP) which in turn has its own dedicated circuit breaker sized for the pump (20 amp max). Please see the wiring diagram furnished with the PRP (☜ I don't see one on their website).

Ch. 7 ➥ VECTOR COMPACT

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 03:53   #5

correct...I have 2 units, 1 forward, 1 aft...
I have 3 circuit breakers...1 for forward, 1 for aft, and 1 for air conditioner relay.
all 3 breakers are on the 'B' side of my 110 panel...all seem to be working fine..but neither of the 'passport II' control panels will start up or illuminate....

sorry, I'm not following your point....
Old 13-06-2010, 05:35   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
It sounds like the pump relay board has failed. IF you are comfortable with High voltage work, And after shutting the 3 breakers off, you can disconnect the pump from the board, and connect to the pump output terminals on the passport. This will allow you to, in turn, test compressor units, board, and pump seperately.

The manual states that this is work for a trained professional technician.
Old 13-06-2010, 06:08   #7

Boat: Catalina 28
Loss of water for cooling water usually causes the high pressure switch to open to prevent damage. On mine, there there is a reset button I depress when this happens. There is a high pressure switch described in the manual that has been posted and there may be a way to reset it for each of the units.
Catnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 07:54   #8

[QUOTE=Blue Stocking;468359]It sounds like the pump relay board has failed. IF you are comfortable with High voltage work, And after shutting the 3 breakers off, you can disconnect the pump from the board, and connect to the pump output terminals on the passport. This will allow you to, in turn, test compressor units, board, and pump seperately.

The manual states that this is work for a trained professional technician.[/QUOTE

thanks for the idea...I'll see if I can check that out..
Old 13-06-2010, 07:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
Loss of water for cooling water usually causes the high pressure switch to open to prevent damage. On mine, there there is a reset button I depress when this happens. There is a high pressure switch described in the manual that has been posted and there may be a way to reset it for each of the units.
can't find a switch on the unit....in the past, it reset itself after overheating due to restriction of water....think maybe fried something this time..

Tags
fuses