Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2017, 11:55   #1

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel
Marinco Day/Night Solar Vent

Good Day All... I thought I would pass on a bit of information on Marincos 4" Day/Night Solar Vent (Part # N20804S).

I had installed mine on Haven in August of this year. I had wanted to see if I could increase the ventilation in her as she sits closed up for a few days on end and did not want the return of the awful mold that we experienced after a 2 week absence. The past few trips to her, I noticed the fan was off. I turned the switch off then on and she cranked right back up.

I called technical support today and they were aware of this problem in that it was in the motor assembly itself. Once the battery had run down, the fan would stay off even after the battery had recharged. The technician led me to the resources tab on the site, Marine & Boat Supplies | Marinco , had me click on warranty request form and had me fill out the form, attach an electronic copy of the receipt. They will be shipping out a new unit that has been upgraded to alleviate this concern.

Do Not go through the vendor if you are experiencing a similar concern, go directly through the manufacturer.

His hope was that they would have more in stock in the next couple of weeks. He did say in the meantime, to try to unhook the battery to run on solar only in the daytime (a fix someone had iterated to him in a previous conversation) but that it was not known if that would actually work. Couldn't hurt....

Fair Winds
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 12:02   #2

Re: Marinco Day/Night Solar Vent

A good little device but I often found mine not turning also. I had the solar one. I think it's a great idea with a cheap implementation.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 12:32   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Marinco Day/Night Solar Vent

A friend told me he tried three of them, and all died within a year.

I finally broke down and took the risk early last year. Now I can hear the bearings going already.

Great idea, low longevity.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar vent