Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2020, 22:21   #1

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Making Sails

Has anyone tried sewing their own sails from the kits like what sailrite sells, or made them from scratch? I know for most people it's probably not practical but I like doing things the hard way sometimes and I like the idea of getting to make my own sails.
Old 25-07-2020, 22:29   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Making Sails

I done 1 kit for a sail cover and am starting a second. Well organized and straightforward.

One of the GOB editors built a spinnaker kit and were happy with the result.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 01:36   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Some years ago when I was more restricted financially I designed and built two sails for my Yankee 30. One was a radial head spinnaker and the other was a storm jib... kinda the two ends of the spectrum!

These were built from guides published by SailRite, and with materials purchased from them... but not kits. I was responsible for the whole lofting process. It was fun and very educational and I won quite a few races flying that kite... and later used the storm jib whilst running with a tropical storm en route from SF to Hawaii.

The whole process was worth the effort because I learned so much about the nuts and bolts of sail production. This was long before computer design was available, and the process of engineering the correct (more or less) sail shape from yards of flat cloth was so educational.

The process becomes less viable as boat size increases. Few folks have the room to loft and cut bigger sails, and the sort of sewing machines available to amateurs struggle with the bulk of them, but I'd sure recommend the struggle if you are game!

Jim
Old 26-07-2020, 03:02   #4

Boat: Offshore 33 cat ketch

I have done a spinnaker from a Sailrite kit. Very easy. It gave me confidence to design, cut and sew my next sail, which was a mizzen drifter. I used a free software (Sailcut CAD) for the design. This one was more thinking and more work then the spinnaker (you have to draw and cut each panel on the nylon given the coordinates from Sailcut). I managed to do it. The sail looks good when I stretch it between trees in my backyard but I didn't have a chance to try it yet on the boat because of Covid-19 (boat is in Florida, I'm in Canada). Maybe it won't be perfect, but I will be able to make modifications with confidence if it's not, at very low cost.
Total spinnaker cost (Sailrite kit)= 1200 $ (excluding spinnaker sock, which I made too).
Total drifter cost (material bought from Sailrite) = 680 $

The spinnaker is 40' X 38' X 24' and the drifter is 37 'X 32' X 14'. Both made of nylon 1,5 oz. Image below is the drifter as viewed on the wireframe view in Sailcut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	74
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	220034  
Free Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 06:00   #5

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Thanks everyone for posting the DIY info!
I have an old set of the Sailrite pamplets and have tried the Sailcut CAD software but have yet to loft a sail from either. The 8 footer has a 'tarp' sail 59 sqft leg-o-mutton sprit sail that I used these instructions to build: Constructing My Favorite PolySails:
Old 26-07-2020, 06:49   #6

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat

Thanks everyone for the awesome info! I now have a stack of research for the next few weeks

Free Rider, when you do finally get to make it down to the boat I'd be very interested to hear how both of those sails work for you.
Old 26-07-2020, 07:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Rider View Post

Total spinnaker cost (Sailrite kit)= 1200 $ (excluding spinnaker sock, which I made too).
Total drifter cost (material bought from Sailrite) = 680 $
I'm interested in how much it cost in materials for the sock.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 07:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Otter View Post

Free Rider, when you do finally get to make it down to the boat I'd be very interested to hear how both of those sails work for you.
I will try to post a report but it won't be before January at least, maybe later depending on the Covid situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
I'm interested in how much it cost in materials for the sock.
I bought most stuff from Sailrite (except ropes, pulley and wire at the top). It cost me a little over 300 $ (about the same price they sell their sock kit). The sock is 38 ' long and I used a 14 '' loop. In retrospect, I could have made it from cheaper material or recycled nylon from a discarded spinnaker maybe. It's made of 1,5 oz ripstop nylon and from mesh.
Old 26-07-2020, 09:27   #9

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Two things I like about going through Sailright...

1) Jeff, the sail person at Sailright: He is knowledgable and pleasant to work with. He listened well and designed a sail to my detailed preferences.

2) Precision cut parts, easy to assemble: Sailright does all the layout and cutting using precision tools. Everything is labeled and the instructions are clear. The kit has everything needed to build the sail. Assembly is straightforward starting from the kit.

At the end of the day I ended up with a well built custom sail that performs well at about a third of the cost of a loft, and I enjoyed the build.
Old 26-07-2020, 12:35   #10
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Rider View Post
I will try to post a report but it won't be before January at least, maybe later depending on the Covid situation.

I bought most stuff from Sailrite (except ropes, pulley and wire at the top). It cost me a little over 300 $ (about the same price they sell their sock kit). The sock is 38 ' long and I used a 14 '' loop. In retrospect, I could have made it from cheaper material or recycled nylon from a discarded spinnaker maybe. It's made of 1,5 oz ripstop nylon and from mesh.
Is it the fabric that costs so much? I suppose it uses a lot of it. It just always seemed to me that those socks were ridiculously expensive for something that is so basic.
Old 26-07-2020, 12:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Is it the fabric that costs so much? I suppose it uses a lot of it. It just always seemed to me that those socks were ridiculously expensive for something that is so basic.
Yes, mostly the fabric. A sock is as long as the spinnaker (or almost) and to have a diameter of 14 '' at the base you need 44'' of width for the fabric. It comes in 60'' wide roll so you use almost all the width (at least at the base).
Then you need a little more than twice the lenght of the sock in ropes. Then some hardware.
As I said, you could save a lot of money by recycling nylon from an old spinnaker or any other kind of light fabric. You could also use old ropes for lines. A spinnaker sock is not so critical after all.
Old 26-07-2020, 13:03   #12
Senior Cruiser

Rope is cheap if one knows where to look...

https://hamiltonmarine.com/ropedeals/
Old 26-07-2020, 19:43   #13

Boat: S2 9.1

Well I always wanted to make a sail and also learn how to use a sewing machine. I ordered a sail kit for my little 8 foot pram from Sailrite.

Very impressed with the amazing detail they put into it, making it very easy to follow.

Have everything ready and some pieces basted together. My wife is showing me how to use the sewing maching in the morning and I expect to be sailing in a couple of days.
Highly recommend Sailrite kits.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 21:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
The process becomes less viable as boat size increases. Few folks have the room to loft and cut bigger sails, and the sort of sewing machines available to amateurs struggle with the bulk of them, but I'd sure recommend the struggle if you are game!
Jim
I have an idea for the lofting space required. I bought 2 storage 53' tractor trailers. I was thinking of putting in a plywood subfloor with black & white checkerboard 12"# tiles
Seeking advice from those that have cut & assembled large sails...
Do I put the 1.) sewing machine &/or 2.) the cutting table (Is it even beneficial to have a cutting table?)... in the middle of the space in the trailer or at the end of the trailer. OR 3.) Put them both; sewing & cutting tables on wheels & make them mobile? 4.) If they are mobile would some form of tracks or floor guides be beneficial ?

NB. I bought them $200 each. Figured I'd use them for my winter work. Such as reconditioning, modifying, polishing, recoating masts & storing them. I also have an insulated 24' Van body delivery truck that can back up to a 53' to make 77' or another insulated 48' trailer to make 72'.
PS. I must admit that this Covid matter sure has me re-evaluating any sailing plans or ideas I have had (& carried) for many years...
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 21:43   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

that sounds like a good investment to me!

If it was possible, consider setting your new work floor up high enough that you can make a pit for the operator to sit in with the machine at floor level. That's how "real" sail lofts are usually set up. I'd be inclined to put t he pit near the longitudinal center of the floor, but there may be a reason this isn't optimum. I'm surely not an expert.

You might query CFer Kestrahl (sp?) who is a real sailmaker... his advice would be far better than mine!

Jim

Tags
sail, sails