Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2017, 01:39   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO40
Maintenance schedule while offshore / crossings

Has anyone created a schedule for regular maintenance and inspection items that should be done while on an extended passage or even just island hoping (ie, away from an anchorage or marina) for an extended amount of time? I'm not asking about unexpected break/fix, but rather all the stuff that will help prevent those breaks in the first place!

Mechanical, electrical, standing rigging, running rigging, cleaning, etc.

I realize that some items depend on usage (ie engine hours for both main engine, generator, etc), but are their more regular chores anyone does that can be the basis for my list? (I've searched the forums but no luck).

If all goes as planned, I'll be buying a new-to-me liveaboard in the fall of 2018. I do all the maintenance on my current boat (1982 Aloha 32) and have learned a ton, but it is lightly used (mostly just weekends) and in freshwater so still have lots to learn.

If there's a book you recommend, I'd love to hear about it as well.

Thanks!
Don aka Canuck_123
Canuck_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 02:01   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Maintenance schedule while offshore / crossings

While actually underway for extended periods a regular "boat check" is a good idea for safety and preventative maintenance.

I like to do a boat check at each watch change. Check: engines, bilges, battery state, sails, easily accessible rigging (good to take a peak aloft at night w a flashlight at sails & rigging), weather, navigation info, and record it all in the log. You can catch both maintenance and safety items this way.

All this information is written in a log at the nav station at each watch change and position plotted on a paper chart. The basic nav info includes position, SOG, COG, heading...in case "failed electronics" should pop up on the maintenance list. 😆

For other maintenance I just keep a log of todo items I notice on the boat. The only explicitly scheduled maintenance I do is fluid and filter changes on engines.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 02:46   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Aside from regular maintenance like oil changes and the like, it's good to develop a habit of awareness. If you're in the habit of noticing the state of your rig as you use it day to day, there will be less to sneak up on you. Notice the mainhalyard every time you use it. Is it looking fuzzy? is there a chafed spot? If not, carry on; if yes, fix next chance you get.
My mooring pennant gets closely inspected every time I cast it off; every visible cotter pin gets noticed whenever I pass by; every lashing is always being glanced over.
It's what they're calling "mindfulness" these days, but really it's just disciplining yourself to pay attention and continue paying attention.

BTW: doesn't "Island Hopping" imply you'll be at an anchorage every night? or pretty frequently? I certainly wouldn't do any scheduled oil changing if I were't at least at anchor in a quiet spot--you can always wait for good conditions to do that.
Old 28-12-2017, 03:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
BTW: doesn't "Island Hopping" imply you'll be at an anchorage every night? or pretty frequently? I certainly wouldn't do any scheduled oil changing if I were't at least at anchor in a quiet spot--you can always wait for good conditions to do that.
Ha! Yes, I guess I'm showing my true freshwater / weekend warrior colours! I've only ever done maintenance at the dock, but shouldn't make a difference if on the hook in a calm anchorage. Other than access to parts and a store to buy that damn tool you never thought you'd need, but I'll leave the "List of recommended spares" for another thread!

Thanks for the reply,
Don
Old 28-12-2017, 03:28   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Vaguely on topic.....

Have a look at evernote - I find it invaluable for cruising and , well, everything.

Basically a one stop shop for anything you want to find again which can be displayed on a screen. Mostly free but subscription if you want to save offline on a tablet and some other bits.

Set repeating reminders for new engine oil, top up batteries etc, these can sync with google calendars if you want.

Also, serial numbers of kit, oil filter/belt sizes etc, to do/to buy lists, pics of wiring, forward emails you want to keep, pics of bus timetable, leaving port/after anchoring check lists - anything and everything goes in there and can be easily found again. Takes maybe a year to really get going but worth checking out. I don't like it so much because it's a great idea (it is), but love it cos it works

Back on topic - that's probably a more boat specific question but generically something like check for chafe on sheets/quick look round rigging, check bilges, check batt voltage, quick look t the engine if it's running, check nav lights still working...
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 03:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Vaguely on topic.....

Have a look at evernote - I find it invaluable for cruising and , well, everything.

Basically a one stop shop for anything you want to find again which can be displayed on a screen. Mostly free but subscription if you want to save offline on a tablet and some other bits.

Set repeating reminders for new engine oil, top up batteries etc, these can sync with google calendars if you want.

Also, serial numbers of kit, oil filter/belt sizes etc, to do/to buy lists, pics of wiring, forward emails you want to keep, pics of bus timetable, leaving port/after anchoring check lists - anything and everything goes in there and can be easily found again. Takes maybe a year to really get going but worth checking out. I don't like it so much because it's a great idea (it is), but love it cos it works

Back on topic - that's probably a more boat specific question but generically something like check for chafe on sheets/quick look round rigging, check bilges, check batt voltage, quick look t the engine if it's running, check nav lights still working...
Thanks for the reply Conachair. While I'm familiar with Evernote, I've never used it but a great idea nonetheless.

How does it compare with MS OneNote? It's free with Windows 10, so already have it.

Thanks again,
Don
Old 28-12-2017, 04:07   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Maintenance schedule while offshore / crossings

One of the reasons I like to wander up the leeward side for a pee at the shrouds (over the side )..
Check sails, mast and rig on the way and after.. then up to the bow and back down the windward side..
Topsides is a regular daily thing for me (lotsa Coffee.. ) .. below decks.. bilges, more dependant on whether the bilge pump kicks in.. Why.???
Engine/Gearbox is to a service schedule or by ear.. belt squealing, knock, water not coming out sufficiently or just steam.. negative charge at meter..
No two owners are the same.. some are obsessive and need a routine.. others like myself are more 'casual'.. if that's the right word.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 08:09   #8

Boat: Knysna 480

Every day...check oil levels, fan belt tightness, coolant levels, and racor filters for sediment. If you have a fuel polisher, use it. Basics. KISS...keep it simple, stupid
Sailingveterinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 09:10   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450
Maintenance schedule while offshore / crossings

What any boat owner ideally requires is a planned/preventive maintenance system. In many cases there are just too many systems to keep track of in your head.

In our case we went thru each user/operating manual, which will describes the required tasks and when they need to be performed. We wrote this out on an Excel spreadsheet and its linked to the Calendar so I get a pop up when something is due. If its based on hours ie oil change, then I note this separately. All maintenance and repairs are logged in detail separately in a Excel log so I can alway revert back to it should it occur again. In also have a listing of our spares in the same spreadsheet which is updated when I use or add an item or highlighted when I need to replenish.

Apart from scale, its no different that how large machinery is operated ie ships, aircraft.

Its takes some time and effort to setup but this is an all important activity as you become accustomed and intimately familiar with your boat. Its a Must-Do.

You definitely don’t want to take the approach of repair it when its broken when inspections or other could have avoided it in the first place.

PS. Im not so pedantic to record the daily tasks of checking engine oil, belts, water, bilge......
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 09:30   #10

Boat: Island Packet 420

When offshore- I have to second Boatman61's suggestions. Everyday- inspect every bit of rigging, every bolt and nut. Walk up and down the boat. Things discovered on my trans-Atlantic----- nut falling off the bolt at the gooseneck, a bolt head sheared off- one of the bolts holding down the traveler, blocks starting to give way, and off course- chafing of running rigging. Look up and down the sails for any loose stitching, if you see it, pull down the sail and fix it before the sail comes apart on you. Regular engine inspections---- if it's a long trip and you are sailing- start up the engine every once in awhile. Check all fluid levels regularly.

Don't forget to check the bilge- make sure that pump is pumping!

And carry lots of spares- this depends, of course, on how far off shore you are going....
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 10:25   #11

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Maintenance schedule depends on length of the journey but my typical Florida to the Bahamas routine goes something like this:
Before I go:
Check all fluids -oil in engine, and trans, and genset water in engines, genset and batteries.
Check all hose clamps on everything that has a hose clamp.
Check water pumps for leaking around seals.
Check throttle and shifting cables.
Check the stuffing boxes.
Check pan in A/C units for any algae or debris.
Cycle Head pumps and motors for the Lectro-San.
Check the Windlass for working up/down.
Check EPIRB and SPOT rescue devices - new batteries in the SPOT.
Turn on all electronics and make sure all units "see" each other in either NMEA 2000 or 0183 as is the case.
Get Genset started and check water flow out exhaust.
Take the boat out for a short run to double check things in general and look for any leaks, vibrations, etc.
Check Racor's (there are three) indicators for degree of blockage and change if anywhere the middle of the suction scale. Else wise check after first leg of crossing. Change as needed (keep 3 changes for Racor onboard).
Probably more small stuff that I am forgetting.

Once on the trip I check fluids and water pump status after each leg of the trip that is more than 60 miles or so. Check the stuffing boxes after each day the boat is run. Check the Racors before every lengthy day of use.

When I return home I will do an oil sample for analysis and oil change if getting close the the 100 hr mark.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 11:30   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_123 View Post
Thanks for the reply Conachair. While I'm familiar with Evernote, I've never used it but a great idea nonetheless.

How does it compare with MS OneNote? It's free with Windows 10, so already have it.

Thanks again,
Don
Onenote sounds very similar, either way - it's a great habit to get into onboard. Saving anything and everything which might be useful somewhere where you can get at it easily synced to the cloud. Evernote (& probably onenote) can clip webpages so handy threads on here can be stashed away for later
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 14:29   #13

Boat: Surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_123 View Post
Has anyone created a schedule for regular maintenance and inspection items that should be done while on an extended passage or even just island hoping (ie, away from an anchorage or marina) for an extended amount of time? I'm not asking about unexpected break/fix, but rather all the stuff that will help prevent those breaks in the first place!

Mechanical, electrical, standing rigging, running rigging, cleaning, etc.

I realize that some items depend on usage (ie engine hours for both main engine, generator, etc), but are their more regular chores anyone does that can be the basis for my list? (I've searched the forums but no luck).

If all goes as planned, I'll be buying a new-to-me liveaboard in the fall of 2018. I do all the maintenance on my current boat (1982 Aloha 32) and have learned a ton, but it is lightly used (mostly just weekends) and in freshwater so still have lots to learn.

If there's a book you recommend, I'd love to hear about it as well.

Thanks!
Don aka Canuck_123
Have a look at Yachting World July 2017
Mouetterieuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 02:54   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Aside from regular maintenance like oil changes and the like, it's good to develop a habit of awareness. If you're in the habit of noticing the state of your rig as you use it day to day, there will be less to sneak up on you. Notice the mainhalyard every time you use it. Is it looking fuzzy? is there a chafed spot? If not, carry on; if yes, fix next chance you get.
My mooring pennant gets closely inspected every time I cast it off; every visible cotter pin gets noticed whenever I pass by; every lashing is always being glanced over.
It's what they're calling "mindfulness" these days, but really it's just disciplining yourself to pay attention and continue paying attention.

Indeed.
Inspect everything, as you use it.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 22:59   #15

Boat: Catalina 470

I think the best maintaince is to make sure everything is as perfect as can be before you leave, if doubt replace or fix.

I've had very few problems with my last boat or this one while off shore (touch wood). I put this down to being a paranoid, worrying nut, thus would like to deal with a potential problem before it really is.

An old bloke said to me once "you don't want to be out there when it all goes to......saying I wish I'd changed that, and worrying about whether it will let go or not" dealing with stuff at sea is not fun. Even needing to get a furling sail down is a dangerous job.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, offshore