Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 12:23   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Maintenance On Your Boat

Jim: I agree there are many charlatan "pro's" in this business with no training, education or expertise but we were talking about the DIY'rs. If you find a good, honest, reliable tradesman, pay his price with a smile and don't lose his number.
Old 24-01-2015, 17:36   #47

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
If only the answer was so easy!

In 40 years of sailing boats and 20 years of owning boats I have seen dozens, if not hundreds of examples of shoddy, dangerous, and useless repairs done by "professionals"

Hiring a professional these days guarantees little about the quality of work, skill of the mechanic, or experience of the mechanic

I am no professional mechanic but I know who to blame if there is a problem. And, more importantly, I am never in a rush, I can spend all the time I need to research the problem and the repair, and I can make sure the parts I order are correct and needed.

IMHO!

Truer words were never said. At least the owner has a truly vested interest.
Old 24-01-2015, 19:41   #48

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It surprises me that so many boaters assume that they can easily do their own electrical or mechanical work on boats and do it so much better than people who have training and experience in these matters. I wonder how they feel when people assume that their jobs or professions don't require any special skill or training. I mean anybody can remove a gall bladder or practice law, right?
It's probably the same thing I get in IT. I am always told a better way of doing things, usually by someone who learned about the "solution" from a person they met in a pub.

I'll take my pills now...
Old 24-01-2015, 23:10   #49

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Jim: I agree there are many charlatan "pro's" in this business with no training, education or expertise but we were talking about the DIY'rs. If you find a good, honest, reliable tradesman, pay his price with a smile and don't lose his number.
You got that right! And recommend him/her to anyone needing that kind of services.

Not everyone likes to do their own work, and not everyone is capable of it. I read Ron's account of the archaeologist's travails with interest. He must have never even looked at a [nor known about?] wiring diagram. He didn't know where to start to help himself. He didn't even know he should ask for help first, being a normally proud man.

Ann
Old 25-01-2015, 04:52   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I am the relative newbie having owned a "big" boat for only 3 years.

I look at every job and determine if
  1. Do I have the skill set?
  2. How hard is it to learn the skills?
  3. If this is the first time doing something- What is the downside of failure?
  4. Since I still work full-time, do I have the time, or is it more prudent to pay a few bucks?
For example, when I climbed the mast, but could not get the body position to loosen the corroded bolts off the anchor light, I paid a rigger to go up and change the light. I opt to pay people to paint and clean the bottom- perhaps when I retire, I will take those tasks on. But for now...

I do all the engine maintenance, wood working (made replacement nav table), rewiring and plumbing.

The comment that has been made about owner-performed work quality is spot-on. I have removed over 100 feet of "lamp wire" from the boat as the PO was a DIY guy who never bothered to research the right way to do things.

IMHO the difference is that owners who research the right way to do things end up doing work as good as a journeyman. And have the added benefit of knowing how things work so when they break in the middle of nowhere; there is a higher probability of fixing or McGivering a solution.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 20:12   #51

Maintenance On Your Boat

I helped a neighbor with his glow plug circuit the other day. Had bad contact points in the relay. Also showed signs of heat in the plug in base.

He owned the boat for 10 years and said the glow plug ind lamp was always on while the engine ran.

He is a real bright guy but reading schematics is like reading another language. He had been going over his manual but it was Greek to him.

I had a look and it clearly showed his ignition switch was a 4 position switch. Off-On-GP-START. It had not been springing back to the On position since he bought the boat.

There was a time when most drawings had a legend. Just like maps. Those days seem to be long past.
Old 26-01-2015, 20:25   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I am the relative newbie having owned a "big" boat for only 3 years.

:

IMHO the difference is that owners who research the right way to do things end up doing work as good as a journeyman. And have the added benefit of knowing how things work so when they break in the middle of nowhere; there is a higher probability of fixing or McGivering a solution.

While they may have accumulated the skills over the years to apply their research successfully, it takes 4 years of study and experience to make a true journeyman.

But then, the journeyman will look to the master to guide him. Hence the term "journeyman".

He has proven his worth in the basics and is on the road to mastering his craft.

Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 26-01-2015, 21:16   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
He owned the boat for 10 years and said the glow plug ind lamp was always on while the engine ran.
Well, he's a lucky bugger! I am reliably assured that glow plugs on our engine will burn out if I glow them for more than 6 seconds! Concentrates the mind when you are starting the engine, that's for sure.

Matt
Old 26-01-2015, 22:26   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Well, he's a lucky bugger! I am reliably assured that glow plugs on our engine will burn out if I glow them for more than 6 seconds! Concentrates the mind when you are starting the engine, that's for sure.

Matt

I was always told 30 seconds was enough.

He has 2 Volvo Penta engines and I too am amazed that the glow plugs still heated.

That being said, he wants the hands on so I have been guiding him through a thorough check.
He has 3 glow plugs connected through a common bus that we will do a resistance and cold start test on. Plus new plug bases will need be installed.

Old 26-01-2015, 22:39   #55

I suppose it varies from engine to engine. The old Toyota 2H diesel took a while, that's for sure, more than 6 seconds. Our engine was probably originally connected to some kind of timer circuit in the truck so you didn't have to think about it. Advantage being a quick start, disadvantage being the circuit was probably unsuitable for a boat.

Your idea of a check list is good, and underlines just how complex our boats can be. In the vein of the original thread, if you are proficient enough to do your own engine maintenance then the checklist is probably more intuitive, though still a good idea, particularly for when you are tired after a long journey.

Matt
Old 26-01-2015, 22:45   #56

Quote:
I suppose it varies from engine to engine. The old Toyota 2H diesel took a while, that's for sure, more than 6 seconds. Our engine was probably originally connected to some kind of timer circuit in the truck so you didn't have to think about it. Advantage being a quick start, disadvantage being the circuit was probably unsuitable for a boat.

Your idea of a check list is good, and underlines just how complex our boats can be. In the vein of the original thread, if you are proficient enough to do your own engine maintenance then the checklist is probably more intuitive, though still a good idea, particularly for when you are tired after a long journey.

Matt

The original circuit is suitable, the ignition switch is spring loaded and should automatically return to the on position. Just old, weak springs.

Kinda like my knees although easier to replace.

Old 27-01-2015, 12:57   #57

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

I am in the Carib, where should I take the boat for REFURB?
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 13:05   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
I find it very odd that when someone posts an issue with something on the CF site, it almost always comes down to "Better have a Mechanic look at that" and it got me to thinking,
How many people DON'T have outside work done on their boats.?.

We've been on ours for going on 12 years now and everything on the boat,
I've done myself.. from motor work to sails and canvas,
I do everything myself, including building the boat in the first place. The only outside labour I used was a gasfitter - as the gas system has to be certified for registration in Qld.

The sails were professionally built too.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 21:07   #59

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Pick who you have do work on your boat by asking your boating neighbors.
If you've seen some of the DIYers jobs I've seen you'll be glad you did.
Ask for some evidence of their past jobs, portfolio, or ABYC certs.
Some "professionals" have no business, doing a job.

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 21:21   #60

Quote:

Matt
Assured maybe, reliably no.

Tags
maintenance