Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2016, 14:58   #1

Boat: 1981 Mainship II
Mainship Windows Leak

Sand Dollar is a 1981 Mainship II, but new to us. Have spent the last 6 mo. since purchase bringing her up to snuff. The front plate glass panels(safety of course) leak badly and the trim has shrunk considerably. My intent is to remove them, clean well, and re-install using butyl tape to set them.
since most of the stanchion bases leaked, (most likely due to folks grabbing the 3/4" rail to jockey a 7 ton boat.....), we cleaned, repaired, and used the butyl tape to re-seat the bases. Worked like a charm and I believe they will last a long time. I've read where many use top quality caulks to re-set windows. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding use of butyl tape for this? And we will need to figure out new trim and attachment. I'd heard somewhere that after Mainship folded, a business purchased their inventory, but don't know if it's true, or how to get in touch with them to see if they have any.
Thanks in advance. We are so pumped about enjoying this journey.
Old 23-05-2016, 04:35   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Mainship Windows Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taughtline View Post
I'd heard somewhere that after Mainship folded, a business purchased their inventory, but don't know if it's true, or how to get in touch with them to see if they have any.
When the Luhrs Group went south, Marlow acquired Mainship -- so it's now called Marlow-Mainship -- but I don't know if that included hull molds, complete inventory, just the name, individual boat records, or somewhere in between. You can try them.

I'd think any good marine glazer could speak to your thoughts on window re-bedding.

-Chris
Old 23-05-2016, 04:48   #3

Boat: 1981 Mainship II
Re: Mainship Windows Leak

Thanks for the lead. I cont

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
wind