Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2019, 11:02   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Mahe 36
Mahe 36 Port Light and Window Leaks

We're looking for tips on which product to use when re-embedding, gluing the port lights.

Also, The starboard salon window, directly beneath the scupper, is leaking. With that one I am considering adding silicone since it's not very visible, though it may not be very effective. Has anyone tried that?

Any tips would be appreciated.
Fiddlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 11:19   #2

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Re: Mahe 36 Port Light and Window Leaks

I have a Salina 48 and just discovered a slight leak at one of my port lights. I intend to cut it out and rebed with Dow Corning 795. I did a fair amount of reading on the subject and the Dow 795 appears to be the adhesive/sealant of choice. I also saw that 3M VHB (very high bond) tape should be used to secure the window in place in addition to the 795, but I'm not sure if I'm going to do that or not.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 12:01   #3

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

The VHB tape is expensive, but it really simplifies the installation of the windows.

I installed 15 windows, this summer, most of them quite large, and it would have been far more difficult without using 3m vhb tape. Another plus, is that it looks really good on the inside of the window, at the frame interface. Nice and even.

You rub the plexi with a red 3m pad before taping. No primer on the plexi.

I used 4991, as it's the thickest "medium density" tape they have. There's a 3mm tape, which is more dense, but not recommended for our purposes, 4991 is 2.3mm thick.

Tape a few spacers/guides around the frame to be sure you get the window in the right position, because once your window touches the tape, it's not going to be easy to move.

We used Dow 795 all round the outside edges. Nice stuff to work with. I used a fancy, stubby, butter knife to finish the edges. Just wet the knife in a glass of water, and go at it. When the knife fills with goo, wipe off the 795, re-wet the knife, and keep on trucking.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 12:32   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Mahe 36

Thanks so much,
Seems that the best solution is to remove, clean and re-fix the port light then.
Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered black #5962 Adhesive Tape and black Dow Corning 795 Silicone Building Sealant from Amazon.
Love the tip about attaching guides around the frame. I'll do that before removing the port light. After setting the port light back in place I'll tape and go at it with the 795.
Fiddlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 18:48   #5

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

You're welcome, and good luck.

Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 10:14   #6

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I re sealed all my port glass with GE silicone from Home Depot. Five years ago and no leaks. That said mine are glass so very little expansion and contraction compared to acrylic
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 20:52   #7

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I second the 795 adhesive. A couple of things I figured out using the stuff, it takes a long time to dry and I trimmed it after it dried instead of trying to shape it while wet. I let it dry completely then used new razor blade and shaved it. It cuts really easy and you can angle the blade to the shape of the hatch. I didn't have much luck (frustration) trying to make it perfect before drying. I used more than I should have then held lens in place with tape. Came back a couple of days later and trimmed each hatch in a couple of minutes.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, mahe 36, wind