Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 10:06   #91

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Luger Leeward Restoration Thread

You're a real artist. Thanks for sharing your progress. You'll make a great looking Captain. Let us know how she sails.

For halyards you can use 1/4 inch whatever doesn't stretch too much but for sheets use what size feels good in your hands that you can get a good grip on while wet. If you have an opportunity to find a store where marine cordage is sold then grip a few sizes to see what works best for you.

The red stripe on the side of the boat with the upturned curly cue at the end reminds me of the old style moustaches I see from time to time in Westerns. You'll get some interest in that when you meet other boaters.

Get a feel for how the deck and cockpit sole feel on your barefeet in the sun. If it is too hot then some light colored grippy carpet might be good for the cockpit sole and a few places where you sit and stand on the deck with a lighter color might be good.

You might consider when you sail how your feet slide around on the cockpit sole. If its too slick then you could put some non-skid surface there.

These are not criticisms but a few things you might want to check on your shake-down cruiuses.

kindest regards,
Old 04-06-2014, 05:30   #92

Boat: Luger, 16 foot

Thanks skiprjohn

I have already noticed the cedar decking getting a bit warm in the sunshine.

I have been working like mad since my last post, reattaching trim, and every imaginable part, plus some.

I finished rigging yesterday, and attached the last bit of hardware.

She is getting launched today. We are supposed to have 10-15 mph winds.

here is a quicky iPad picture from yesterday.

More pictures of the sail later on. Or of her sinking, or pictures of something at least!

Wish us luck boys...we're gonna need it!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:25   #93

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Great job.

My Luger Southwind 21 is still taunting me, from beneath it's tarp. Others have told me, "Don't get too hung up on it. Get her to a sailing condition and prepare to trade up!" My problem is O.C.D... 😝 "It was done days, or weeks, ago! What are you doing?" "Ummm, attempting to get it right.!" 😬
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:47   #94

Looking good!

Let us know how it went.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:42   #95

Well folks, sailing was INCREDIBLE! Everything functioned as it should, the wind was great, and the boat responded accordingly. I was a great day sailing.

There are 10-15 MPH winds on the lake, a pretty decent chop on the water, and only two other guys at the launch ramp.

I did learn that I need a better zoom for my camera. LOL

The boat is very stable, responsive and speedy even in the lighter winds, and easy to handle. I would like to add some sort of cleat so that I could lash the tiller handle down so that I could move about during single-handed sailing.

Here are a few pictures.

I'm working on packing everything up and prepping for the 15 hour trip to St Pete Florida. I should see some nice sailing weather there.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:53   #96

Congratulations. Looks like you had a great day.

These things are hard to do if you raise your sails before launching and maybe are impossible if your ramp doesn't allow you to move your boat around much.

Suggestions: 1) Try to get your bow pointed into the wind first before raising your sails.

2) Attach the foot of your mainsail and run the clew out first, then raise the main. Keep an eye on the boom to make certain it can raise and lower (ease your mainsheet and vang if you have one) and doesn't hit anyone as you raise the main.

3) Raise your jib.

Congratulations!

Have a great sail in Florida.
Old 07-06-2014, 13:14   #97

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

Nice work! There is lots of good sailing water around St Pete enjoy the trip!
Steve W
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:16   #98

Thanks for the pointers Skiprjohn. I am an amature sailor at best, so I can use all the help I can get.

One thing nice about the boat ramp I was at, is there is a small section of land that completely shelters the boat ramp from about 95% of the wind on the lake. Inside the sheltered area was almost a dead calm with 15 mph winds coming off the lake. It is sheltered on every other side as well, by hills and the lake's dam. It makes launching and hoisting sails easy. A single paddle was sufficient to give me steerage way until I got to the breeze.

I hadn't thought about running the clew out first, but undoubtedly that will be much easier.
Old 03-07-2015, 20:44   #99

Boat: 1976 Hunter 25

Thanks for the thread, I'm picking up a Leeward 16 on Sunday 7/5.

I'm in for about the same amount of work. The keel trunk looks like it's in decent shape.

Once I get it cleaned up a little I'll have a better clue.
JohnCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:22   #100

Boat: Luger Leeward 16

I love this thread! I just got a 1967 Luger Leeward 16 from my neighbor, and I need to do some extensive repairs. First one is stringer replacement:
  • 1/2" Marine Plywood - 4' x 8' sheet - $75
  • CPES: TotalBoat Penetrating Epoxy (1/2 gal) - $80 (coat the stringers with this)
  • Epoxy Resin: TotalBoat 5:1 Epoxy Kit w/ Slow Hardener (1 gal) - $110
  • Fiberglass Cloth: 6oz or 1708 Biaxial?

The question is: which fiberglass cloth should I get? 6oz or 1708 biaxial 45/45?

I've never done any fiberglass work but I've read a lot so far. Seems Chopped Strand Mat (CSM) does not work well with epoxy. In choosing the fiberglass cloth, I also don't want to add unnecessary weight to the boat. This is a smallish 16' sailboat -- would ~3 layers 6oz fiberglass cloth be strong enough for the stringers?

Some other questions:
2 pieces of 1/2" marine plywood bonded together for each stringer?

For fillets, do I need both silica thickener AND milled fibers to add to the epoxy resin in order to create a "peanut butter"?

Do I need to grind out the remaining old polyester resin at the base of the cockpit before laying new stringers using epoxy resin?

Stringer Pattern: I want to replace the stringers in a new pattern, the one Dave used where the stringers are at a ~45 degree angle instead of what was in this boat (attached photo) where stringers run parallel and perpendicular to the hull creating boxes where water would gather. Is this ok to change the stringer pattern?

See photo of the boat after removing old rotted stringers.

Here's some other photos of the Luger Leeward 16
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160326_175756246.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	122244  
eoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:02   #101

How do you think you're doing number of noodles that you're going to need for flotation? I'm looking at a Luger 21 Southwind. Thanks

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 00:23   #102

Greetings Dave,
Is there anyway you could supply me some dimensions for the rudder? I have bought a 16 and she does not have original size rudder which causes some problem when sailing upwind.
TmDuncan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 22:40   #103

Lightbulb Re: Luger Leeward Restoration Thread

I need full size patterns for wood pieces. . Most of wood is missing. Also I need location of HIN.
drcov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 07:18   #104

I just bought a Leeward 16 and have found this thread very helpful. While I don't have the time or skill to do such a thorough restoration, I have enjoyed seeing all of the pictures and the stunning final product.
BKerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restoration