Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2015, 17:34   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
LPU over old powder coat base

I suppose that minaret is the most experienced denizen in this subject matter, but I thought I'd throw it out into the forum so that others might gain some knowledge on this question: I am about to repaint my cockpit with Sterling LPU (I was fortunate enough to stockpile some ahead for this eventuality). My Edson steering pedestal and single arm engine control box are showing the effects of twelve years of UV light on their powder coat finishes. I would like to know what the appropriate prep would be to apply LPU over the existing powder coat. I could sand it all off, but I'd prefer to keep the work down to a minimum, if I can. I planned to sand the finish with 220 grit paper, then, if needed, use a thin undercoat, followed by a couple coats of LPU, the same color as my cockpit and mast will be painted (Cloud White). Any comments?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 08:55   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: LPU over old powder coat base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I suppose that minaret is the most experienced denizen in this subject matter, but I thought I'd throw it out into the forum so that others might gain some knowledge on this question: I am about to repaint my cockpit with Sterling LPU (I was fortunate enough to stockpile some ahead for this eventuality). My Edson steering pedestal and single arm engine control box are showing the effects of twelve years of UV light on their powder coat finishes. I would like to know what the appropriate prep would be to apply LPU over the existing powder coat. I could sand it all off, but I'd prefer to keep the work down to a minimum, if I can. I planned to sand the finish with 220 grit paper, then, if needed, use a thin undercoat, followed by a couple coats of LPU, the same color as my cockpit and mast will be painted (Cloud White). Any comments?

Prime with 545 and it'll be fine. Way to save some Sterling.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 09:07   #3

minaret, you da man. Thank you!
Old 17-10-2015, 09:55   #4

Just for the folks who didn't quite get what minaret suggested, here's a YouTube that explains more of the details: And while we're at it, here's some more about the finish techniques. I, especially, liked the trick of removing the "fuzz" off the roller.

My technique is considerably coarser, but I have only myself to blame for my product. Folks with higher standards need to consider hiring someone with the temperament and skills (and, of course, remuneration for their due product) as minaret. You get what you pay for. Otherwise, use latex house paint and a fluffy roller. My boat lies somewhere in between this spectrum.