Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2017, 19:33   #1

Looking for a tiller to wheel conversion kit

Hi, I have a Catalina 27 that I'm thinking of converting from a tiller to a wheel.
This a 70's boat so I'm looking to do this cheap. Anybody know where to find what I need?
Daniel Noga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 20:05   #2

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII
Re: Looking for a tiller to wheel conversion kit

There are a couple of Catalina specific forums and groups. I found one just googling "Catalina Forum". There's also Yahoo group and likely Facebook pages.

You might find somebody who wants to convert their wheel steering to tiller. That would be a match made in heaven!

I have a 92 C30MKII that (pretty sure) came from the factory with an Edson pedestal installed. I would imagine the same pedestal likely fits multiple boats, do you may want to see if you can find some Edson parts used. That would address the "cheap" part.

No idea how much work would be required to do the mod. The work looks awfully neat on mine, so I suspect factory or dealer.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 20:12   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have to ask, why?
it's amazing how much room in the cockpit those things take up, and you can't just lift it out of the way either.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 21:57   #4

Boat: Catalina 320

Because you don't have a T shaped cockpit to accommodate a large wheel and the size of the steering quadrant is also restricted you will not have the mechanical advantage required for wheel steering to work well. The Catalinas I've been aboard that have been converted in this manner took both hands to try and turn at the dock. Don't do it.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 08:52   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have to ask, why?
it's amazing how much room in the cockpit those things take up, and you can't just lift it out of the way either.
Ditto that. In days of yore I had a 27' sloop and would not have considered it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 10:38   #6

Boat: cal29

I just, two weeks ago, converted my Cal29 from tiller to wheel, before embarking on a 9 day cruise from Grand River in Painesville to the Lake Erie Islands and back. The reason I converted was because the tiller, while underway, took up way too much room in the cockpit. When I would tack, everybody in the cockpit had to move. Yes, the tiller can be put up out of the way while in port, the pedestal stays in place taking up space. My concern about space and ease of movement in the cockpit isn't while sitting in port, it's while sailing. The ease of control and comfort, especially on a long trip, was wonderful. I'm not sure what Calif.Teds issue was that it took two people to turn at the dock. He must have had the pedestal brake on. A few of the legs were 5 to 6 hours w/o auto pilot, which I am installing next. It was challenging doing the install myself but well worth the effort.
As to buying the parts, I found t a few boat graveyards, online, that had pedestal units. I bought all my parts from Jon @ massmarine.com. I drove from Cleveland to Boston to pick everything up. I also bought a furling system, autopilot, stern rail, pedestal, wheel ,radial wheel and a few misc. items for under $3,000.
You will probably need a few other parts specific to your situation to complete the install and I would be more than happy to share this information with you. You can call me @ 216-392-2220 if you like. Ken
alexanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 10:42   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanick View Post
I just, two weeks ago, converted my Cal29 from tiller to wheel, before embarking on a 9 day cruise from Grand River in Painesville to the Lake Erie Islands and back. The reason I converted was because the tiller, while underway, took up way too much room in the cockpit. When I would tack, everybody in the cockpit had to move.
He's on a Catalina 27.

Wouldn't everybody be switching/moving to the windward side anyway during or after tacking?

I know they would on my boat.

A wheel will take up much of his cockpit and be a pita to get around.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 11:03   #8

Boat: B31 Sirene

Tiller to Wheel Conversions - Edson Marine
and
Jefa rudder and steering systems
hrsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 12:20   #9

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Since I've got a later Catalina with the T-shaped cockpit, I don't have an issue with the pedestal/wheel getting in the way - at least no more than I've had with tillers.

As for people moving - depending on the wind, your boat, and your mission - they may or not need to. With 5kts of wind on a Sunday sail, no one needs to move, the boat is flat.

Used to sail a J22 with a tiller. Part if the problem with tillers is that yes, people have to move, but unless they're trained and fairly agile, they can actually get in the way if the tiller. This is never a problem with wheel steering.

I can deal with either tiller or wheel. This boat came with a wheel, so I use a wheel. I'd never go through the cost and trouble of changing one to the other.

Last thought, wheel pedestals are great to mount instruments on. With a tiller in a large cockpit, you'd either need to mount your displays way up on the back of the cabin trunk, or pick a side and gave them be inconvenient on one tack or the other.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 12:30   #10

Don't.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 12:36   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
He's on a Catalina 27.

Wouldn't everybody be switching/moving to the windward side anyway during or after tacking?

I know they would on my boat.

A wheel will take up much of his cockpit and be a pita to get around.
I completely agree. I have nothing against wheel steering it just seems on a 27'er it may be to cumbersome. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 12:45   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Noga View Post
Hi, I have a Catalina 27 that I'm thinking of converting from a tiller to a wheel.
This a 70's boat so I'm looking to do this cheap. Anybody know where to find what I need?

What's the plan with the boat?

Where do you want to sail it?
What do you expect for guests/crew typically?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 12:45   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 371

As others have said "don't". Part of the joy of sailing is the feel of the water on the rudder and hull. With a wheel there is non. I say again "don't".
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 15:54   #14

I was looking at C27's a few years ago and nearly all I have seen on Lake Erie have wheel steering. I would say it must work out pretty well. Do what makes you comfortable, but then I am am not fond of a tiller.
erie bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:25   #15

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

I have two Dufour Safari 27s, one with a tiller and one with a wheel (It was pure dumb luck that I ended up with these two boats). I like both. Each has their advantages and I like each for different reasons. As a few have noted, your usage will help to determine what is best, however it sounds like you have already made the decision. If possible, keep the tiller gear should you ever decide to return to the tiller or should you need an emergency tiller.

A rough guild is that the wheel if better when cruising whereas the tiller gives you a better feel for what the boat is doing, provides more cockpit space when anchored or docked, and is better when racing.

If you are looking for parts, try craigslist, boat yards, and also look for abandoned or destroyed boats. Often times you can make a deal to strip a boat for parts. Good luck with your conversion.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel