Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2009, 21:26   #1

Boat: Cal 34
Looking at a New Boat

I'm fairly inexperience in the maintenance issues surrounding the deck and hull of a large sailboat. I've maintained a number of smaller sailboats, but never had to paint or do fiberglass repairs.

I'm looking at an older Cal (1977) and I have a huge number of photos.

Unfortunately, it's out of state and I would need to arrange a flight out to check it out.

I figured I might solicit any help I could from folks with more experience. If anyone is willing and has a few minutes to look and provide any feedback on the state of the boat and the likely repairs needed immediately and in the future.

I am concerned about a number of areas of missing paint inside the deck (do those indicate leakage and/or bad fiberglass?). Also, is that water damage at the base of the settee? Cause is likely water leaking from above? Anything else you see right away that I may have missed?

I put all of the photos up on a flickr page, here:

Flickr: hobie.fan's Photostream

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks!
HobieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 22:50   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Their is water damage in that area with discolored plywood. No way to tell where it's coming from without a thorough inspection. Doubt it is from a deck leak in that area as it looks like it's coming from the bottom and wicking up in the wood. Didn't see any missing paint except in the chain locker. That is probably from the anchor chain abraiding the paint and normal wear and tear.

Over all, the the boat looks very clean. The problem is does the boat still look that way. I've seen photos of boats that looked great, on inspection found out the pictures were grossly old and the boat in very poor condition. You are going to have to fly down there or have someone else inspect the boat to make sure the photos represent it's current condition before you spend money on a plane ticket. If it was me, I'd see what other boats might fit your needs located in that area and make a serious shopping trip out of it.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2009, 22:51   #3

Boat: O'day 322 "Southern Comfort"
I looked at the pictures and do not see any warning signs. I think it would be worth looking at in person.
SouthernComfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 01:16   #4

Other than the wood at the base of the setee, the other frame that bothered me was this one. It looks like there is some notable cracking around the portholes and the spot of paint peeling. Are these things an issue?

Old 30-08-2009, 01:30   #5

Another crack that worries me up in the V-berth. It looks like it was taped over at one point, so that indicates it may be leaking, doesn't it? Anyone think this looks serious?

Old 30-08-2009, 06:20   #6

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Yeah looks like a leak over time to me.
Why this boat?
There are a ton of boats out there. Better to try for one near you if possible.
If you don't live near a area with boats for sale, then how are you going to manage it once accquired?
Easy access is mucho important when restoring a old boat.
Get a copy of this old boat by Don Casey if your serious about a older boat.
Amazon.com: This Old Boat, Second Edition: Completely Revised and Expanded (9780071477949): Don Casey: Books
My first impression is walk on this one... but then it depends on the price now doesn't it ?
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:10   #7

Well, I bought this boat.

Paid $12,000 for a reasonably well equipped Cal 34. Full electronics, GPS, Chart, Radar, autopilot, new house batteries, inverter, shore charger, newer head with tank and y-valve with macerator, decent sails including a shoot with scoop and new UV coating on the roller furling headsail, solid running Westerbeke diesel, dual water heaters (engine and propane), expanded water tanks, nice dodger, folding bimini, quad winches and all lines running neatly to the cabin-top.

Main issues are: minor interior fixings, needs bottom paint this winter, speedo not working (probably full of crud from lax cleaning this summer) and a frayed jib halyard (it's a roller furling and hasn't moved in ages)

The water damage in the photo is very old - he produced an old photo of it from years ago and said it hasn't changed.

The crack in the v-berth is just vinyl wall-padding and is sound underneath (and has also been that way for many years).

I'm excited, I think it seems like a good deal. I'm going to go down to investigate what work needs doing sometime during the next few weeks with plan to move on as a live-aboard in November.

Sweet!
Old 10-09-2009, 02:36   #8

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Congratulations !
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:01   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieFan View Post
... Main issues are: minor interior fixings, needs bottom paint this winter, speedo not working ...
... I'm excited, I think it seems like a good deal. I'm going to go down to investigate what work needs doing sometime during the next few weeks with plan to move on as a live-aboard in November.
Sweet!
A good deal, and sweet, indeed. Congratulations!

If a simple cleaning doesn't do it, see the earlier post about "Tap Testing" Knot-Logs
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ent-15440.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:15   #10

Nice boat, congratulations!
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote