Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2016, 18:18   #1

Looking At A Boat That Has Been On The Hard For 5 Yrs....

Dear all, we might start looking at a boat that has been sitting on the hard for 5 years with none of the systems being used. It is a boat from the early nineties and she has been shrink wrapped most of the time.

The mast was off, sails and cushions etc stored somewhere.

Key worries:
engine, engine and engine.
what is going on in the fuel tank
fridge
waterheater
waterpumps
hoses (antifreeze for five years)
I guess I will replace the toilet
need new batteries
replace lines from gasbottles

does time on the hard do anything to the standing rigg?
electrical systems/wires?

Have I missed anything???

any comments are welcome
arjand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 18:22   #2

Boat: C&C 110
Re: looking at a boat that has been on the hard for 5 yrs....

A boat wrapped up in plastic for five years could have a mold and mildew problem in inaccessible places.
replusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 18:47   #3

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Look for permanent hull deformation at supports.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 19:12   #4

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Dried out cutlass bearing.

Through hulls not operated.

Rigging has aged and weathered?

Your available time and skill set or cost of hiring pro's

Gelcoat/paint condition.

Rebed deck hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 01:25   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Holding tanks and hoses.

Everything possibly wrong are negotiating factors. Don't know where the boat has been on the hard, but have to second deformation of the hull as a definite thing to look for. Monohull boats are supported by the water while in it, like equal pressure all over the hull. The supports point load it. If you can see hull deformation when you look at the supports carefully, my advice would be to walk away. The reason is that I haven't a cllue about how to fix it, and wouldn't know if the glass fibers were broken; however, when you get into hull fixing, or deck fixing, for that matter, and you yourself lack the skills--mon, it's going to be $$$! at $100/hr for labor. For weeks.

The running rigging will, at the least, need to be end-for-ended, due to sun damage. Water pump impellors will be history--small $$--but best to replace before running engine; also same for genset, if applicable.

Joker valve(s) for toilets, but possibly whole sanitation system. It is one time to be a pessimist kid.

Best not to buy a boat that has been on the hard over one week.

Ann

Ann
Old 15-03-2016, 08:31   #6

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Most of the items you'll need to consider have been covered. If the mast is down and the boat shrink wrapped, the rigging, standing and running shouldn't be an issue. Mold will be a biggy and if you figure you'll just have to roll up your sleeves and wipe down every inch of the boat then no surprises. I am assuming this is not a wood boat. If by chance it is wood then you have a whole new can of considerations and I would be very careful going forward.

You didn't mention where the boat was located but if it's in the tropics, termites can hollow out a boat in short order. Put a pry bar on the flywheel and make certain the engine hasn't seized.

Tanks will have to be drained and cleaned along with all fuel and water lines, expansion tanks etc. Good luck.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:46   #7

Boat: 2002 Hunter 450/ 1987 Dehler 25

you certainly would not know if it was blistered as they are dried out and in hiding.
Dehler 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:23   #8

the shape of the hull may have changed at the least look for dimples and hollows from blocking and bracing
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:50   #9

Way too many unknowns.
- If the engine was laid up properly, it could be fine. Probably plan on replacing belts and hoses but otherwise...
- If the mast is down and they pulled and stowed all the running rigging, it may be fine.
- If you don't see mold, it's probably not an issue (unless you think they cleaned it up but poke your head into hatches and you likely could see any that was missed).

A good survey including a check of the engine should show most issues. Do your own look thru first and if all looks good, make an offer contingent on a survey and sea trial.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:54   #10
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Look at the bow and stern straight on and see if there are any twists. Check bulkheads for attachment. Use a puttyknife if you cannot reach or see. Check for underlining cracks in the bottom of the keel and any checks or cracks in cabinetry which may also indicate some movement or twist.

Oh, and get an engine survey via a mechanic.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 09:55   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

***Well, I would rather buy a boat that was put up on the hard for five years than a boat that sat in the water unused for five years.

A boat wrapped up in plastic for five years could have a mold and mildew problem in inaccessible places.

***Either powerwash the interior with a strong dilution of Lysol soap, available in gallon bottles or use several cans of Lysol spray. ...and keep using the spray every spring.

Look for permanent hull deformation at supports.

***Small, shallow indentions will ususally pop back out when the boat is back in the water. I had this with my Pearson 26, the hull went right back to shape after being on the hard for 4 years.

Dried out cutlass bearing.

***Check for play in the prop shaft.

Through hulls not operated.

***Good ones can be disassembled, cleaned and re-greased. Cheap ones should be replaced anyway...with good ones. As much bronze as possible.

Rigging has aged and weathered?

***Since the mast is down, the standing rigging should be in the same condition that it was when the boat was put up. Might need replacement anyway due to overall age and type of usage, but with stays preswaged at the top end from a chandlery cut a bit longer, adding a Sta-Lok or Norseman fitting to the lower ends is not a big job nor the $10K job that some people spend their money on.

Your available time and skill set or cost of hiring pro's

Gelcoat/paint condition.

***Any boat will have these issues sooner or later.

Rebed deck hardware.

***Always a good idea

Blisters, you certainly would not know if it was blistered as they are dried out and in hiding.

***You will be sanding the bottom and that will make any blisters more visible. Skylark has a few small blisters from time to time, but she is 38 years old. Blisters or delaminating from manufacturing defects is one thing, but many old boats blister a bit from just being in the water. Scratching the bottom will also tell you if there is a water barrier over the gelcoat.

In any event, hire a reputable surveyor. Call Boat/US for a local surveyor.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 10:24   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Looking At A Boat That Has Been On The Hard For 5 Yrs....

It's likely the switches will need cleaning. Check to see that you can turn the engine over. If they never sprayed oil in the bores before the layup there's a distinct possibility of corrosion. If you cannot work on it yourself you could be in for some big bills. Best get a survey as suggested in previous posts if you are not sure what to look for. Nice looking boat the Nordic 40. Good luck with her.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 13:02   #13

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
I've never been on a boat older than a year or two that didn't have mold and mildew in inaccessible places. How would you avoid it, unless it had been sprayed during the build with some sort of fungicide. Have never seen a used boat that was completely mold free.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 23:43   #14
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Sounds like it could be a good deal - a boat in a time lock for 5 years. Now nice and dry.

When you put her in the water for the sea trial you can check all the thru-hulls and hoses as well as letting the hull pop back into shape (or not). Might take a few days.
Old 16-03-2016, 00:22   #15

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
I've never been on a boat older than a year or two that didn't have mold and mildew in inaccessible places. How would you avoid it, unless it had been sprayed during the build with some sort of fungicide. Have never seen a used boat that was completely mold free.
Air flow. So many boats are badly built with no air circulation in areas such as under the berths, in the back of cupboards, under the heads (where the pipes run), etc.

We lift half of our cabin sole whenever we go away, plus retrofitted a couple of smaller mushroom vents and louvred cupboard doors - zero mold. Unless you count the pie I accidentally left in the fridge last time for 2 months

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
on the hard