Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2019, 05:03   #1

Boat: Columbia, 8.3 and 8.7 (1977)
Liquid Natural Gas

The oven and stove on my boat uses LNG or CNG . How available is it in the Bahamas or Carribean. Can the stove and oven be converted to Propane by changing the orfices and how available is propane in the Bahamas or Carribean. I've read the comments on this site and I guess the propane has far more regulations than Natural Gas and may be more dangerous but availability is my concern Thanks
weephee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 05:52   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Liquid Natural Gas

First I assume that you mean LPG or Liquefied Petroleum Gas as opposed to LNG or Liquefied Natural Gas. LNG requires a cryogenic storage system and I've never heard of such a thing on a private boat. Propane and LPG are pretty much interchangeable as far as stoves are concerned, but CNG usually requires different jets. LPG is available at pretty much any significantly sized settlement in the Bahamas and pretty much the entire Caribbean. CNG is much harder to come by as it requires a high pressure storage and fill facility.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 07:34   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don’t think you will find CNG at all. I believe it’s not even common in the US.
Too bad cause it is a safer boat fuel. I guess the infrastructure is too expensive?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 04:50   #4

Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft

It's all very confusing I find

LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) is cooled down natural gas to a point where it becomes liquid. That is what is exported in ships to countries in Asia.

But ships,trains, mining equipment and long distance haulage trucks are switching over to it as well. (All need "Thermos Flasks" to keep it cool and stop it boiling away).

(Ships are switching from " bunker fuel" which is what is left over after stripping off petrol, diesel, aviation fuel, lubricating oils etc and it has the consistency of grease and has to be heated to get it to flow)

CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) Over shorter distances apparently it is a cheaper way to transport natural gas to overseas countries than liquifying it.

LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) is what we use in Australia for our boat galleys and what we call BBQ (Barbecue) where we grill sausages and cuts of meat in the backyard. (I think in the US of A the gas is called Propane or Butane?)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 12:47   #5

Boat: Columbia, 8.3 and 8.7 (1977)

I have a little more information. The stove is a seaward model 3132 which is 3 burners and an oven. It uses CNG but the stove is no longer made. I can get the kit to convert the burners to propane but not the oven This stove as never been used. Any ideas where I could get the oven parts I need to convert to propane. Thanks
weephee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 15:12   #6

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by weephee View Post
I have a little more information. The stove is a seaward model 3132 which is 3 burners and an oven. It uses CNG but the stove is no longer made. I can get the kit to convert the burners to propane but not the oven This stove as never been used. Any ideas where I could get the oven parts I need to convert to propane. Thanks

Have you tried sure marine. Their web site is www.suremarineservice.com, but they are very helpful on the phone.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 15:45   #7

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
You could try a local gas and welding supply company,
They will more than likely have all the parts you need on the shelf,
If they dont, They can more than likely point you in the right direction to obtain the parts you need,
A local domestic gas heater repair company could also help,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 16:20   #8

Boat: building Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Well I've learned something else today

" LPG pressure is less than 2 MPa whilst CNG - compressed natural gas storage is 20 to 25 MPa. This means high pressure CNG tanks are heavier and more expensive than LPG tanks. ... Both LPG and CNG are much cleaner fuels than petrol or diesel. They both have fuel systems that are sealed.Jun 15, 2019" (Quora)

I have a rough and ready (but nevertheless quite technical) old-timer mate who fills his caravan LPG cylinders at the gas station with CNG because it is much cheaper. He says you have to be very careful to fill them for no more than 15 seconds otherwise they will blow up! (Of course it is illegal)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 18:24   #9

Quote:
You'd have to check the difference in pressure at the regulator. NG (methane) off the street is lower pressure than LP (propane/butane) you get in tanks, I'm not sure what CNG runs at (as mentioned, not common in the US)

but you adjust for different pressures by changing the orifice (jet)

You can drill out the existing one if you need it bigger, or epoxy over the old orifice, then drill it out for the correct size if your need smaller.

If the literature doesn't spec it for your oven, I'd expand/reduce by the same percentage as the available orifices for your stove.

Of course this will void warranties, and you do so at your own risk.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 18:43   #10

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
As our European friends keep telling us, propane, or any compressed gas, is harder to come by over there.

In the rest of the world propane is commonly used but still hard to get a tank refilled in some places. (we have gone through some funny gyrations).

So, probably CNG would be an order of magnitude more difficult.

I hacked my oven burner with a stove top burner. It is not temperature controlled so we have to watch the thermometer, but it works. The broiler, we just removed.

Don't be afraid to do it yourself.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 19:26   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
The oven and stove on my boat uses LNG or CNG . How available is it in the Bahamas or Carribean. Can the stove and oven be converted to Propane by changing the orfices and how available is propane in the Bahamas or Carribean. I've read the comments on this site and I guess the propane has far more regulations than Natural Gas and may be more dangerous but availability is my concern Thanks
LNG isn't even readily available in Canada for use outside of home heating! How are you making out with the stove now? Propane is a much better choice. the stove can be converted ( ours was) but the oven doesn't work and you need to pretty much replace everything else anyway. Tank, regulator hose. Might as well do the stove too.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 20:36   #12

Painted Skies came to us in 2004 with a CNG system for the stove/oven. Getting the tanks filled was a nightmare; we used to drive 2-1/2 hours each way to Norfolk, VA to a place that had exchange tanks (the tanks are big, heavy ones similar to scuba tanks). Virginia Natural Gas would only do exchanges, which means that you get someone else's tank in the exchange and that tank may not necessarily have much time left on its certification - a risk that isn't bad if you live in the area and exchange often. If you are just traveling through - it could be an issue.

One time in Florida we found CNG in Jacksonville; we had to rent a car to reach the depot to have the tanks filled. This particular company had a small supply of CNG that was left over from a natural-gas-powered transport system that was tried in the area, but was no longer running. They were filling CNG tanks only until their supply was exhausted which would have been at least 10 years ago now. We never found CNG in the Bahamas.

We converted to propane and bought a new stove/oven before we started full-time cruising, realizing that LPG is just a whole lot easier to find and cheaper. Be aware that you can Google CNG stations and find quite a few but these places are for on-the-road vehicles and may not be able to fill your tanks (due the different fittings and/or regulations). Cost for exchanging a CNG tank was about $60/tank as I recall, and due to the lower heating value of CNG (as compared to LPG/propane) the tanks did not last as long - less than half what a 20-lb propane tank does.
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 22:04   #13

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Well I've learned something else today

" LPG pressure is less than 2 MPa whilst CNG - compressed natural gas storage is 20 to 25 MPa. This means high pressure CNG tanks are heavier and more expensive than LPG tanks. ... Both LPG and CNG are much cleaner fuels than petrol or diesel. They both have fuel systems that are sealed.Jun 15, 2019" (Quora)

I have a rough and ready (but nevertheless quite technical) old-timer mate who fills his caravan LPG cylinders at the gas station with CNG because it is much cheaper. He says you have to be very careful to fill them for no more than 15 seconds otherwise they will blow up! (Of course it is illegal)
From memory, 2 MPa is about 30 psi. 20-25 MPa is thus 300-375 psi.

Your old timer friend is a dangerous idiot who thinks saving a couple of bucks is worth dying for - much less killing and/or maiming innocent bystanders. Google fuel-air explosives - complete with shrapnel.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 22:27   #14

Where would your old timer mate find CNG at a service station in Aus?
You might find CNG in NZ as the taxi fleet in Auck used to run on it but I thought it wasn't used in Aus?
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2019, 00:40   #15
Sempre Avanti

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevilleCat View Post
Where would your old timer mate find CNG at a service station in Aus?
You might find CNG in NZ as the taxi fleet in Auck used to run on it but I thought it wasn't used in Aus?
Commercial fleets have used it here in Aus for a while now, brother was driving a truck over in Perth WA that was fueled by CNG and quite a few Buses in capital centres are using it, however like LPG it is getting less popular for vehicles, LPG/CNG system fitters make more money removing old systems than installing new ones.....

Can't say i've ever seen a CNG filling station for BBQ bottles though, not saying they don't exist, just never heard of anyone using CNG instead of LPG/Propane around here, guessing you would have to lug your bottles for some distance to find it.....

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...-caltex-54124/