Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 08:47   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to sonyut
Line-x/Rhino Lining a hull

Has anyone done this? I'm new to this forum and looking at boats, particularly steel hulls. If one were to coat the hull with a strong, durable liner shouldn't that reduce (or almost remove) maintenance for years to come? We've all seen truck beds lined with these types of coatings and they hold up well after years of beating, so wouldn't the same apply to a boat?

Thanks!
sonyut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:56   #2

Re: Line-x/Rhino Lining a hull

I'm not a metal guy, just as a disclaimer.

I'd rather have something I can visually inspect rather than a coating which could hide rust.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:02   #3

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyut View Post
Has anyone done this? I'm new to this forum and looking at boats, particularly steel hulls. If one were to coat the hull with a strong, durable liner shouldn't that reduce (or almost remove) maintenance for years to come? We've all seen truck beds lined with these types of coatings and they hold up well after years of beating, so wouldn't the same apply to a boat?

Thanks!
I armored my anchor locker with Line-x and it has worked beautifully for 6 years. No deterioration that I can see, and a small drip the appliers dropped on the Freeman hatch without any priming is still there, tough as nails. I have a friend who started a business applying these coatings to small aluminum boats. Tricky, but the end result stills looks good. If I had to do it over again, I absolutely would have applied it to the insides of the black, gray, and probably potable water tanks (with another compatible coating over it). The question of whether it would work on a steel hull is probably unknown, but frankly, I can't see why not. There is an epoxy coating that can be sprayed over the initial coat that makes it smooth as glass.

Vortex Spray On Liner - Home Page
Old 02-09-2013, 09:27   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

A surveyor friend of mine was surveying an older steel ship. In the bilge was a pitch/tar (as he described). He pulled a little up to inspect the steel under and found it to be in new condition.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:35   #5

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
A surveyor friend of mine was surveying an older steel ship. In the bilge was a pitch/tar (as he described). He pulled a little up to inspect the steel under and found it to be in new condition.
If you keep oxygen away from steel, it lasts forever. Were I doing a hull with this material, I would blast it, epoxy prime it, epoxy top coat it, spray on the liner, prime and topcoat again. I suspect it would protect the steel indefinitely.

Tags
hull