Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2020, 18:50   #1

Line replacement on drop keel for a Rhodes 22

Hoping someone (especially other Rhodes 22 owners)could weigh in (pun intended) on my keel issue. The line attached to my drop keep popped off and now am trying to figure out best way reattach a new line so that it doesn't jam when I raise the keel. There is a hole in the keel to which the line was attached via a jam knot...or so I believe.

Fortunately I keep the boat on a hoist system, so I can get under the boat.

Suggestions or recommendations appreciated.
Perspective22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 05:25   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Line replacement on drop keel for a Rhodes 22

I'm gathering that the problem is the width of the centerboard casing versus the width of the knoted rope used for raising it, right? I'm expecting that the board is thin enough that the hole through the board is just that, with no hollowed out space in which to hide a jam knot. Right again?

OK. Any knot you can tie in the end of the rope will be more that one rope diameter, sticking out the side of the board, so you have width of rope going down to the board, width of board, and width of knot, all inside the width of the case.

Slightly narrower would be to eyesplice the rope in a loop around the board. Then it's two rope widths pluc one board width in the case.

Better might be a flat stainless steel shackle, or make your own, pinned in the hole, so that you can attach the rope fore-and-aft through the shackle and again make an eye splice.

Is your jam cleat destroying the rope? A jam cleat always gripping the same place (board up or down) could be a recurring problem.

Is that enough ideas to get you thinking about a solution, or maybe I did not understand the problem?
Old 30-06-2020, 19:42   #3

Re: Line replacement on drop keel for a Rhodes 22

Tkeithlu...you are right on with figuring out my issue. I appreciate all the ideas to help me get back on the water again. Will let you know final solution. I am already leaning towards the shackle solution. To be continued.....Thanks for the reply!
Perspective22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, men