Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2011, 18:00   #1

Boat: PETERSON 44
Lifeline Failure

My lower fwd life line list it's Clevis pin.fortunately it happened while kneeling to Drop anchor. All the life pins are locked in with those retaining rings that look like a key ring but very small diameter. I checked a few others and they seem fine. I can only believe that it corroded and left ship while bashing around the jersey coast. Looking at them they are very small diameter. Sort of FYI any else seen these fail. Ill probably put amsteel life lines on next winter and keep a close eye on these fittings.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 07:42   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Lifeline failure

G'Day Sabray,

Those rings (called by some "cotter rings") are prone to having moving lines, like your jib sheets,snag on their wire ends and strip them out of the clevis. I gave up on using them in places where this was an issue... places like lifeline fittings! It's too bad, because they are often convenient to use in places where you need to remove them frequently.

For me, using conventional cotter pins (split pins to some folks), well bent and then taped over is a more reliable setup.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 16-07-2011, 07:48   #3

"Ring Dings" are indeed quite unreliable. In any serious application they need to be taped over. And then checked weekly. Useless on a cruising boat.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 08:18   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Use cotter pins and put them on the opposite side from sheets, sails and other things which may snag. Bend the sharp ends around with needle nose pliers and point them inwards and flush back towards the pin where they are less prone to snagging.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 08:23   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

life lines are not a life saving device-- they area life losing device--a weak spot not made for strain-- meant only to tell ye where the edge of the boat is. is like an electric windlass-- gonna fail whenye count on it most. mine have failing screws to keep it all together--lol-i will be changing mine to solid rails welded and not take apart--i need the space for stowage of jerry jugs for fuel and water---- has to be secure. not for life saving-- that is what the jack lines and tethers are for.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 08:28   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Lifelines, although not fail safe, are one of many a life saving devices and should be treated as such. I agree with zeehag that supplementing them with jacklines adds to the safety equipment toolbox of keeping people onboard.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 08:31   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I like the split rings as they are much less likely to take flesh off a passing human than a cotter pin. I've never had a ring snag on a passing rope but I can see how it could happen, especially if you use a larger ring than nescessary. Larger rings are easier to install but make snagging easier. If you have trouble installing the small rings, buy a set of split ring pliers at your local fishing store. A bit of tape over the ring couldn't hurt. Which ever way you go, I suggest you use one of those tapes that will only stick to it self. That way when you have to remove it you're not dealing with messy adhesive on everything.
Old 16-07-2011, 08:35   #8

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

We had a couple of failures while sailing one day. Repair at sea I used SS rigging wire to secure them and later put in real cotter pins. Not only are real cotter pins stronger, they are easier to put on and take off.
Went and replaced the rings on the turnbuckles also...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote