Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2020, 14:27   #16

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Lewmar New Standard Portlight sizes

Well I ordered the new seal and will report on progress when it arrives. Good job I got in on time, he reports that he got a big bunch of orders when this thread was posted and is now running low

My local chandlery, really good guys, have quizzed the Lewmar rep and uncovered that it is possible to buy the non standard sizes. Bavaria ordered thousands of portlights of non -standard sizes and doubtless other manufacturers did too, and they do apply spares for these. But the continuous roll is of course cheaper and I'll see how I go with that first.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 16:37   #17

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Lewmar New Standard Portlight sizes

Just checking in reporting successful receipt of the correct stuff, for exactly a third the price of the best quote I could get for the complete made versions. It fits easily and quickly, no issues at all. Just remember to pull it tight and poke it in, then every few inches let it relax back into position. It fits easily when stretched out, but is almost impossible to install when relaxed. Joins at the top of the window where there’s almost zero chance of a leak. I’m rebedding the entire portlight at the same time with bed-it tape as it’s been 15 years, although the existing seal seems fine, because it’s far easier to work on the frames when they’re out. One down nine to go.

The old butyl tape is interesting — it’s a strip of butyl-impregnated foam. Where it’s not been compressed it’s very soft and looks very like open foam. As it compresses it goes thin and sticky and stays like that. Still soft and pliable 15 years later. Would be interesting to find out what it is because it’s certainly good stuff.

Shipped from the uk 14th May, arrived New Zealand less than two weeks later, which doesn’t seem bad considering the current situation.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar, size