Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2021, 09:11   #1

Boat: Beneteau first 47.7
Lenses for Hatches and Portlights

Hi All,
I would like to change the Lewmar Atlantic lenses of my Portlights and hatches, but I was told that they are no longer being produced. the boat is a beneteau first 47.7 of year 2000.
I therefore thought of having the lenses made.
I can measure the sizes (with great hassle), and I know that they are 10mm thick.

What I don't know is what the material is....is it simply common Perspex?
Is there a manufacturer out there that, knowing the boat model, would have all the correct sizes and would be able to supply them?

Any "extra" thoughts? - thank you.
Pdemajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 14:15   #2

Boat: Coast 34 Sail
Re: Lenses for Hatches and Portlights

I have replaced my hatch plastic by removing old plastic and taking to a plastic shop so they can cut out new. Then it was me bedding in marine grade silicone. We did not use lexan as it scratches more easily than plexiglass. Luckily for us the ports were still available but it seems a good shop could cut those also. The gasket on my ports a unusual and happily still available last I checked.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 17:07   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I would want to use toughened glass but maybe that is the wrong way to go?

Have you had a look at this?

coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 22:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

You aren't in the US, but please try www.hatchmasters.com. If nothing else, it will answer your questions about what material to use (cast acrylic, not polycarbonate).
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:00   #5

Try https://www.eagleboatwindows.co.uk/
bobgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:11   #6

Thank you all for your suggestions!!!! Ill certainly try all the suggestions.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:20   #7

Boat: 1972 Formosa 41, 41od 48 oa

It's not as hard to do That video is good I just got done replacing all the deck hatch plexiglass in a 50" morgan something like 9 of them. If you want to save cost of having someone cut them out for you. I found a roughter with a flushcut bit similiar to one used for formica did a great job use the old one for a pattern and clamp it firmly to the new plexi.so it wont move, then cut it out with the router. It makes a perfict duplicate with a nice clean edge. Use the router and push it against the rotation of the blade so it doesn't try to grab and run away a slower cut gets a finer finshed edge. I was using 1/2" thick plexi. the thin 1/4" stuff is really easy to cut this way. Good luck?
capt.rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:51   #8

Boat: Leopard 48

So this is another option in case your replacement and or changing of the lenses is difficult to source. You can wrap them in perforated vinyl. A large number of cats are moving in this direction b/c of the more modern designs incorporating 5 - 6 20"+ hatches. Lots of UV/Heat in and very expensive to replace. Some are taking this direction instead of replacing lenses.
Advantages:
- Just your time in labor, high quality vinyl is really inexpensive. (VViVid Brand is on Amazon ~$50US to do a large catamaran)
- 90% view out, 0% in so has a nice privacy and heat reflection upgrade with little diminished ability to see out.
- Finished look is new, cant see crazing or any minor blemishes/scratches.
Disadvantage:
- Look is not a factory one and maybe not for you.
- To install correctly need to take each hatch apart. Does give you time to 4200 on the hardware, replace the seals and use marine silicone in the right spots to re-water tight them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hatch_covers.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	230301  
wathey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:36   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.rob View Post
It's not as hard to do That video is good I just got done replacing all the deck hatch plexiglass in a 50" morgan something like 9 of them. If you want to save cost of having someone cut them out for you. I found a roughter with a flushcut bit similiar to one used for formica did a great job use the old one for a pattern and clamp it firmly to the new plexi.so it wont move, then cut it out with the router. It makes a perfict duplicate with a nice clean edge. Use the router and push it against the rotation of the blade so it doesn't try to grab and run away a slower cut gets a finer finshed edge. I was using 1/2" thick plexi. the thin 1/4" stuff is really easy to cut this way. Good luck?
Thank you Captain Rob.... !
Old 12-01-2021, 11:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wathey View Post
So this is another option in case your replacement and or changing of the lenses is difficult to source. You can wrap them in perforated vinyl. A large number of cats are moving in this direction b/c of the more modern designs incorporating 5 - 6 20"+ hatches. Lots of UV/Heat in and very expensive to replace. Some are taking this direction instead of replacing lenses.
Advantages:
- Just your time in labor, high quality vinyl is really inexpensive. (VViVid Brand is on Amazon ~$50US to do a large catamaran)
- 90% view out, 0% in so has a nice privacy and heat reflection upgrade with little diminished ability to see out.
- Finished look is new, cant see crazing or any minor blemishes/scratches.
Disadvantage:
- Look is not a factory one and maybe not for you.
- To install correctly need to take each hatch apart. Does give you time to 4200 on the hardware, replace the seals and use marine silicone in the right spots to re-water tight them.
Hi Wathey....thank you for this....Very interesting. I suppose that when you look from the inside out you dont really see the Crazing..correct?
Old 12-01-2021, 14:53   #11

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I replaced all of mine with 3/8" acryllic by purchasing scrap pieces at a sign shop. Used a $30 laminate trimmer and $15 laminate trimmer blade with a roller on it. I used spring clamps to clamp old on top of new and used the laminate trimmer to cut out the new. Took about 20-30 minutes each. Produced a lot of plastic shavings though. After you get your new lenses installed, I like the perforated vinyl for protection.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch, portlights