Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2007, 21:27   #1

Boat: now floating easy37
legality of painting in your yard

how legal or illegal is painting spraying 2 pack paints in your back yard(epoxies poly urethanes etc) mostly looking for australian answers here but interested in legalities in other countries too
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 22:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Talk to your council...

I'd suggest talking to your council.

Two pack paints are sold in Bunnings hardware but the "assumption" is that they will be brushed or rolled on.

Two pack polyurethane contains isocyanate which is one of the serious nasties. Very little is released in brushing or rolling but spraying releases heaps.

There is a two pack vinyl (similar to a polyurethane) that (anecdotal) does not contain isocyanates. While it is more expensive it might suit your purpose better.

If I had a neighbour spraying anything I would not be happy. Isocyanates would get me out of my tree real quick.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 00:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
More info is required. How are you applying, as in, Airless spray, High pressure spray, HVLP spray??
Is this a once off? or are you thinking of a business with regular activity?
If a business, you would need to meet the bylaws of your local council. If once on your own boat, then you could probably get away with it. The big danger would be overspray landing on a neighbors car or something. So that brings me to the type of spray. The old persure spraying systems have huge wastage. Airless spray has very little wast, but can be a handful applying finishing coats. They are designed for covering large areas fast. The new kid on the block is the HVLP systems. Not expensive and very easy to use leaving excellent results. The HVLP (High volume low pressure) is a very old technique. I think it was hoover that came out with an adaptor for a vacum cleaner 40 or more years ago. Not very refined. But the technology has returned with vast improvements. It produces excellent finishes and very little waste. Well worth looking at. Not as cheap as a regular spray gun, but well worth it.
The essential part of using twopots is wearing protective gear and a very very very good respirator. Usually a full breathing apperatus is used with air being supplied by mechanical means. But once again, for a one off, a very good chemical rated breather would suffice. If you don't have the saftey gear, then roll the paint on. DO NOT try spraying this stuff with out good breathing gear.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 04:23   #4

Boat: now floating easy37
i am up to the stage of painting the cat, it'll be a once off but obviously will involve about 3-4 spread out days of spraying, i would like to use airless spray due to minimal wastage however ill probably end up using hvlp which i used on the interior
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote