Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 12:27   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Leaky Window on a C-30 1989 MKII

Hey all,

Looking for real world advice from those who have gone before...

We have a leaky window, (the one right above the chart table and elec panel, yay). In researching how to fix this I came across a great deal of material and figured out that we do not have the old aluminum frames, (apparently discontinued around 1987), but a much simpler, (cheaper?), design. What I see is a recessed frame that the window fits into that is sealed with caulk in the recessed area. (Sorry no pics, at home now).

It appears that we need to remove the window, (remove screws, remove window without breaking it), scrape the old caulk, use a solvent or solvents to remove all the residue, lay down the the new sealant, (let get tacky?), replace window (also cleaned).

Looking for validation, if validated, expanded upon, (best materials, solvents etc.)

We are in Florida, one recommendation was NO black caulk, (like we have now).

Here are some of the links I've investigated, just focused on this one window for now, thanks for any insights.

Boat Windows - How to Repair Window Leaks : Boats and Yachts Maintenance, Repairs and Troubleshooting

Tinted Lexan against a black surface:

This is a combination that will never stop leaking in Florida or the Gulf coast simply because the black absorbs too much heat from the sun and the rate of expansion is too high to permit a seal. The only solution is DON'T USE BLACK MATERIALS.
Catalina Direct Link:
Aluminum Window Reseal Kit C-30, C-36 Catalina Direct: Aluminum Window Reseal Kit C-30, C-36
--> OK, this doesn't seem to apply to our boat. Aluminum frame with channels for the window to sit in, we don't have those.
Catalina30.com link:
Again, aluminum frames...
Leaking Windows
Best Upgrades

WINDOW REPLACEMENTS: The Retrofit Windows Kit for the boats that have Original Aluminum Frames (prior to ~1987) include both the windows and interior fascias. The product (TC-62000) for the Recessed Window models (usually 1987+) is lower because it does not include the interior fascias.

(So with a 1989 MKII, I assume we have the Recessed Window, I was completely confused by the drawings with the aluminum frame. On our windows it just looks like there is a recess for the window to fit in, and the sealant sits behind the window and that's it. Recess (the boat), sealant, window.)
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind