Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2014, 18:22   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30
Leaks on 1984 Sea Sprite 30

This last snow storm revealed a need to re-bed chainplates, re-seal the mast where it passes through the cabin roof, and also check the eyebrow. I also have a badly damaged area of veneer around a portlight that previously leaked (but is now dry). Can anyone suggest a simple solution to stabilize the veneer and improve the cosmetic appearance? Pics at the link below:

1984 Sea Sprite 30
CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 18:52   #2

Re: Leaks on 1984 Sea Sprite 30

Sounds like you are in the same situation as me. My boat is in the water in Urbanna. I will sail her down to NC later in March or April. I'm currently driving up from Raleigh every chance I get to work on her, fixing minor leaks and other repairs.
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 18:54   #3

Ha! Small world! Would love to see your boat someday. Taking mine to Manteo as soon as the ice thaws!
Old 14-02-2014, 19:13   #4

I'll be going a bit farther to Oriental. I'm just hoping for good weather in late March so my son in law can accompany me down the ditch.

Love your boat! And your blog!

My biggest time challenge is that I'm having the yard pull the mast and rebuild the mast step. While the mast is out I want to replace the standing and running rigging. I just hope that I have time to do all that before the end of March.
Old 14-02-2014, 19:19   #5

Boat: Islander 32 MII "Brilliant Sea"

Hi there, cool boat!

For the stains and delam you could get a syringe and squirt some waterproof wood glue behind. Then take a piece of wood thin enough to bend and wedge it across to something solid with the idea being that the wood(spring clamp) will put pressure on the veneer. Use something flexible to spread out the pressure.

For the staining you can sand a little, very little, that veneer is thin. I've used a brass brush to get into the grain and it helped. There are some products that will remove stains from wood but I just use diluted bleach. Test some spots out to see if it will blend. You will always have a stain there but you will be able to make it look better.

Cheers,
Markus
Brilliant Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 04:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcolman View Post
I'll be going a bit farther to Oriental. I'm just hoping for good weather in late March so my son in law can accompany me down the ditch.

Love your boat! And your blog!

My biggest time challenge is that I'm having the yard pull the mast and rebuild the mast step. While the mast is out I want to replace the standing and running rigging. I just hope that I have time to do all that before the end of March.
Wow! That is an ambitious schedule given all the bad weather we have been having. I have been having a hard time getting work done at Regent Point Boatyard. They seem to be very far behind due to all the cold and wet weather. Unless I get a 3-4 day window of perfect weather I will probably have to move the boat down to Manteo over a couple weekends. Going from Deltaville to Portsmouth; Portsmouth to Coinjock, and then Coinjock to Manteo. Let me know when you head out. Perhaps we can convoy some of the way.
Old 15-02-2014, 07:29   #7

Yeah I know it's a bit ambitious but hopefully it will all work out. The yard is supposed to pull the mast in the next couple of days. I've already ordered the running rigging and plan on installing it next weekend. Once the mast is off, I can remove the standing rigging and then order new wires.

I'll check in with you before I leave for NC. It'd be nice to have another boat for company!

Tags
leaks