Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2005, 07:52   #1

Unhappy Leaking port holes

I need your help. I have 8 opening port holes (Bomar)on my Manta 40 Cat and 5 leak slightly. I've tightened the "swing" latches and put in a shim to increase the pressure, but still get little drips that find their way through. Although not serious amounts, mainly aggrivating. The seals look to be in good shape and still soft and pliable. I've cleaned them and applied a little lubricant to improve the seal but to no avail, they still dribble.

One problem that I see is that the screen inserts cause a trough to form that collects water between the screen frame and the glass. Water eventually finds it's way in. Also when I open the windows the rest of the accumulated water falls right in. I could get rid or the screens which would eliminate the "pooling" of water. But then I'd have to install the screens everytime I opened the windows. (At least in the summer when the skeeters are bad!)

Any thoughts about drilling holes thru the frame, above the gasket at the bottom of the window, to allow the water to drain out without collecting? Replace all the gaskets? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Dave
s/v No More Mondays
Old 15-01-2005, 10:06   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I'm not sure which port you have but you might contact these people below. If there is an issue they may(?) want to know.

http://www.pompanette.com/pompweb.ns...a?OpenDocument

..............................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2005, 16:53   #3

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
You could install hoods over the ports to keep the rain off the port.
Jim Kane

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2005, 22:54   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hmmm, problem wouldn't be just plain ole condensation would it?? It seems hard to believe the port seal is leaking if you have done so much with it. But do check the rubber seal hasn't shrunk and/or gone hard due to age. Best to replace it if you suspect any deteriation. Another issue can be found with plastic framed ports/hatches. They can bend slightly with age and as such, will no longer seal.
I would still go back to the condensation thing though.
Oh, and NO!!!, don't drill holes in the thing that keeps water on the outside, outside. At least when it is working properly. And thats the point, you need to make it work properly, not "heath robinson" it to try and solve a problem.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2005, 11:40   #5

Angry Any more ideas?

Alan...No it's not condensation!!! If I drill a hole in the lower frame, above the lower gasket, it can't let in any more water than is already there. Water fills up to the edge of the external frame or the port or the screen.

Jim... Port hoods? Never heard or seen them. Any links? Wouldn't thet stop the air movement / ventilation.

Delmarrey...I contacted the manufacturer of Bomar Ports, They claim they haven't any inquiries on leaking issues. It was hard to believe their recommendations are to replace all port seals every 7-10 years. I could agree if the seals were hard and cracking. But that is not the condition of mine. They have changed the hatch design from two seams to one, eliminating the seam on the bottom center for obvious reasons.
I'm in MI and the boat is in FL so I'm not sure what one I have.

But that still doesn't address the issue of the trough that is formed between the hatch and the external frame above the gasket (1/2"). Even more when the screen is installed. I can't believe anyone else out there isn't getting soaked everytime they open their ports!!!

My last option I guess (Unless someone out there replys) is to replace the gaskets and locate the gasket at the bottom of the port, higher to the edge of the frame to eliminate the trough for water to pool. Then, I'll have to drill a hole thru the screen frame to allow the remaining water to drain (which rises the frame another 1/2").

Would a couple of you out there check your ports for the location of the gasket to the height of the external frame and let me know???
I'm sure a gasket located at or near the height of the external frame should eliminate the trough of pooling water and leaking.

Thanks,

DAVE
Old 19-01-2005, 16:30   #6

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Dave, take a look at this thread. I don't know if this is what you need, but they do keep the rain off. My last boat had a problem like yours. When the ports were opened, collected water leaked in. The hoods helped but due to the angle of the port, it didn't totally eliminate the water.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|6880|296549|47058&id=120087

It is worth a look.
Jim

p.s. the above link will not work if you just click on it. Copy the link to your browser address line. For some reason it is not fully underlined.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2005, 06:35   #7

Rain Shield link

Hey Jim,
Thanks for the link. Looks like this has opportunitits. Especially if you want ventilation while it's raining and when I wash the deck (which happens to have the toe rail scuppers directly over the port and flows right into the window well). Unfortunately my main problem occur with bow wash water.

Not too sure about afixing something externally on the hull. Beam waves crashing on the side might be too much for the covers to withstand. But they certainly have some useful applications.

Hopefully someone out there will let me know the location of their gaskets (on the lower part of the port)in relation to the outer frame. How much of a trough do you have and di you get wet when you open the port?

Thanks for your reply.

Dave

Tags
leaks