Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 18:52   #1

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Leaking CAV Injection Pump

I had made a cruise from Galveston Bay to Lake Ponchartrain to visit an old friend. I ended up staying in Madisonville for 2 months.

I was doing maintenance on my cooling system when I noted a crack in the base of one of my engine mounts. I bought 4 new mounts but only replaced the cracked one. Duty called and I headed back to Houston on the spur of the moment.

I ran most of the way on the engine. On my arrival I found that I had developed a fuel line leak. I replaced a couple fuel lines and found another leak on my injector pump end cap. This turned out to be just the gasket. (A square sided "O" ring)

After bleeding the system and running the engine I found that i still had a small leak to the tune of 1 drop every 45 seconds of so. This leak continued despite the engine being stopped. It increased a little when running but not a lot.

I continued to look for the leak while working on other projects. I replaced the other engine mounts and re-aligned the shaft coupling. About 4 gallons of diesel had collected in the pollution pan in 3 weeks.

After chasing the leak again, I had just about decided to pull the pump but decided to look at the pump breakdown diagram again. I noticed bolts for the control cover were a might camouflaged by be multi-purpose. A 1/2 turn of the wrench and leak is no more.

I am convinced that vibration was the root cause of my leaks. The old Perkins runs smooth for now. Knock Wood.