Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2011, 07:36   #16

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter
Re: Large Cabin Windows - What would you do with them?

I very much appreciate everyones response and thoughts on the issue.

The big trade-off seems to be between having the large windows and natural light, vs. going smaller and gaining ventilation.

For those who have cruised in the tropics, which would you appreciate more: the ventilation of a few more small opening ports or the view/light afforded by the large windows?

If I were to keep the big ones, I like the idea of thru-bolting some lexan or plexiglass. If you notice the pictures, I have removed all of the old vinyl/foam backed healiner on the inside and have bare fiberglass exposed for now. I eventually plan on covering the walls with hard panels, possibly plywood glued to the side walls where the windows are and panels screwed onto firring strips for the overhead areas.

I guess if I bolt on some glass, I'd need to create some sort of trim ring for the inside, and possibly one for the outside as well. I have a good hook up for stainless or aluminium, so I could maybe do something like what jrd22 posted without much trouble. I honestly think the fact that I would need to make trim/frames for the windows is what scares me the most, though I don't know why.
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 08:06   #17

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

With the advice of Mark and sailmonkey you should be fine. Something to remember, You could look up the strength of Plexi Vs the fiberglass cabin you are bolting them to, and buy the thickness that has the exact same strength. You ARE in a plastic boat. Just because you can see through it doesn't mean it is weaker.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 09:55   #18

If you bolt plexi to the outside I dont see why you need a trim ring.If it is properly rounded and chamfered it should look ok.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 13:41   #19

I will make mine openable from inside with storm panels outside....total coast $40...and be done for the next 40 years
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portlights-from-inside.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	25319  
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 07:59   #20

Boat: Downeaster 38 / Beneteau F235
Send a message via Yahoo to audeojude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Now, use a screwdriver flat blade first to remove excess, then after scooping is done, Use Iso. Alcohol wet paper towels to get the rest. Then remove the paper and get what you missed. Remember, the stuff scratches VERY easily!
Whatever you do please don't use Alcohol to clean acrylic with. Alcohol will cause acrylic to craze and crack on the surface. I know this the hard way. The dropboard on my old boat that I did this to on one corner is still that way because I couldn't afford to buy a new one. One drop of alcohol on the surface of your window will cause it to craze on the surface. I have seen many boats with this crazing on them and think that a lot of what people think is UV damage is probably someone in the past having cleaned the surface of the window or hatch with alcohol to get off some excess caulking or a paint spill etc... Not sure about lexan but I wouldn't risk it.

scott
audeojude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin