Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2016, 02:41   #31

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Laquer instead of varnish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I have used can spray lacquer (=varnish) on surfboards. When you finish a repair in epoxy it is 'mate', so you spray it to return the gloss. I never saw the lacquer peel off or anything.

b.

Minwax Clear Brushing Lacquer Finish & Aerosol Lacquer | Minwax

The lacquer that I'm considering has a very different chemical base than varnish. Nail polish & nail polish remover smells & acts the same as the lacquer I'm talking about. It smells like acetone,& will dissolve most "oil" paints.

Varnish is available in spray cans also,but it is varnish-not lacquer.
Varnish used to be (linseed?) oil based, Now,many are urethane or "water" based.
http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...-spar-urethane
Old 29-03-2016, 04:45   #32

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
How long do they last? How often do you re-coat? How difficult to remove or repair if UV or physically damaged? Thanks
I personally havn't used it yet. There is a wooden boat ship slip where i slip my boat and they use it on all the wooden boats. It was recommended i use it for my outside woodwork, but i had already purchased and opened a can of Norglass Microshield, so im using that.

But the two pack varnish dry's in about 60 minutes. It's hard enough to walk on. Recoating is 2 to 3 years to be optim. The chandeler told me that microshield is easier to 'fix up' damaged areas, but will need recoating at 2 years tops. 2 pack requires solid rub down before re-coating.

Norglass Paints and Specialty Finishes: Northane Clear Gloss

Norglass Paints and Specialty Finishes: Microshield Premium Varnish

https://whitworths.com.au/main_itemd...AbsolutePage=1 this is the International brand.

You can usually tell a boat thats been done in two pack clear and then allowed to weather for years. The varnish comes off in strips.

If you want an easy product thats not expensive see if you can find the Norglass Microshield. It goes on thick and looks great.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 05:13   #33

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I personally havn't used it yet. There is a wooden boat ship slip where i slip my boat and they use it on all the wooden boats. It was recommended i use it for my outside woodwork, but i had already purchased and opened a can of Norglass Microshield, so im using that.

But the two pack varnish dry's in about 60 minutes. It's hard enough to walk on. Recoating is 2 to 3 years to be optim. The chandeler told me that microshield is easier to 'fix up' damaged areas, but will need recoating at 2 years tops. 2 pack requires solid rub down before re-coating.

Norglass Paints and Specialty Finishes: Northane Clear Gloss

Norglass Paints and Specialty Finishes: Microshield Premium Varnish

https://whitworths.com.au/main_itemd...AbsolutePage=1 this is the International brand.

You can usually tell a boat thats been done in two pack clear and then allowed to weather for years. The varnish comes off in strips.

If you want an easy product thats not expensive see if you can find the Norglass Microshield. It goes on thick and looks great.
Thanks-good info
Old 31-07-2016, 22:08   #34

Sometimes simple measures appear to be much better than the varnish and other inventions.
lama1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
varnish