Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2021, 14:59   #1

Laminar-Flow Interrupter Technology

Does any other boat companies use this technology or do they have similar hull designs ? Ranger/Cutwater had the patent ( US5819677A ) but let it expire years before the 20 year mark .
DaveC111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 06:17   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Laminar-Flow Interrupter Technology

If I understand it, you can get a small improvement in turning a high-speed hull by interrupting the laminar flow of water on the inside-the-turn hull side. That makes sense. I doubt that that effect is sufficient to justify incorporating the design in a low speed (cruising?) hull, and wonder how it could be anything but a drag on a sailing hull, which will heel while going in a straight line. I doubt that this technology has more than a very narrow application to boating.

Am I missing something here?
Old 25-04-2021, 07:36   #3

It only will be of value for non displacement hulls . Being I question some of claims Ranger tugs makes ( I have owned two, and the last has serious hull problems ) , I wonder if you can advertise '' our patented '' when you let the patent go ?
Old 25-04-2021, 10:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC111 View Post
Does any other boat companies use this technology or do they have similar hull designs ? Ranger/Cutwater had the patent ( US5819677A ) but let it expire years before the 20 year mark .
It was issued in 1996 and expired 20 years later, as all U.S patents do, in 2016. Patents in the U.S. can't be renewed and are all issued for 20 years.

That said, I agree with previous posters that it's a gimmick on anything going at cruising speeds.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 14:19   #5

If you google it , they let the patent go , approx. 5 years before the ''expected '' expiry date in 2016 . The patent , from what i believe i read , is expired 2010/11/08 for lack of fee payment . That part doesn't really change the question though . One of my questions is can you advertise '' our patented '' when the patent is gone , and was abandoned . That is what it says on the Canadian Patent '' abandoned '' is ''our patented '' misleading or false advertising ?
Old 25-04-2021, 15:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC111 View Post
If you google it , they let the patent go , approx. 5 years before the ''expected '' expiry date in 2016 . The patent , from what i believe i read , is expired 2010/11/08 for lack of fee payment . That part doesn't really change the question though . One of my questions is can you advertise '' our patented '' when the patent is gone , and was abandoned . That is what it says on the Canadian Patent '' abandoned '' is ''our patented '' misleading or false advertising ?
This is a somewhat pedantic side trip, so I apologize in advance. Are you talking about a U.S. patent? If so, I'd be curious to see the 2008 fee payment thing. U.S. patents are all issued for 20 years at the outset, so there's no fee to be paid at the 12 year mark and no way it could lapse for lack of payment.

In any event, it's lapsed everywhere now. I don't think you'll find a consumer protection agency that would go after someone calling something "their patent" if indeed they did patent it but it was lapsed. It's very common for people to list patents on their resume's, for example, even if they're expired. This is much the same, basically saying "hey, I've done cutting edge stuff".
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 14:28   #7

From what I read is there are maintenance fees to pay to keep up a patent , and advertising a expired patent , as patented ,is a no no .

See https://patents.google.com/patent/ US5819677 ( a US patent ) I will try to attach a picture also .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5285.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	237355