Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2006, 13:32   #1
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Kudos to Condon Lumber!

I've just had my first dealings with Condon, a famous old name in the business located in White Plains, NY. And I have to say they totally exceeded their sterling reputation. Small order, very small order, but they were exceptionally helpful and the kind of folks that you wish EVERY vendor could be. Old fashioned, no web site, but don't let that stop you!

Not to mention, you could think you'd died and gone to hardwood heaven if you actually go there.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 20:48   #2
Kai Nui

There are few of these places around. Great to hear about another one. I use Woods Unlimited, in San Leandro, Ca. It is the only place I have ever found the size of hardwood I needed for my boat. I bought a number of Mahogany planks 20' plus 8 quarterx12-14", and several large teak boards. One was 8 quarterx 12"x20'. The owner, an old guy named John resembles an old oak tree more than any person I have ever met, and he knows wood. He has made many recomendations to save money and still get the quality I wanted. First place I have ever found clear, plantation teak.
I sure do miss the handshake deal. Nice to know it still exists in a few places.
Old 22-06-2006, 03:40   #3

I am fortunate enough to live near Condon have purchased material from them over the years. They let you prowl through the bins and stacks of lumber and selct the boards you want and will mill or dress it even cut to length to your exact specs... ofter as you wait and watch!

It's quite an old fashioned operation... I don't know if they even do email, I saw IBM selectrics on some of the desks! But the place has quality lumber and a helpful staff.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lumber